Free and Cheap Insulation Official Discussion

Former_MSE_Archna
Former_MSE_Archna Posts: 1,903 Forumite
First Post
edited 3 July 2013 at 10:09AM in Energy
articlealert2_banner.gif

Free boilers, loft and cavity wall insulation

This thread is to discuss the article Free Boilers and Insulation and lists all the top freebies you can bag from energy suppliers.

Got any questions/feedback?

Let us know what you think of the guide and if you've managed to successfully get the freebies. Was it easy, did you have any problems, have you told friends & family about it?

Any good questions we'll add to the guide.

Thanks

MSE Archna

Comments

• I really wish people, especially the government, but alas now including MoneySavingExpert, would stop advertising "free insulation for all". It's just not true. I live in rural Cornwall and my home, like so many in the countryside all over England, does not have cavity walls. I have had to spend thousands buying and installing special insulating wallpaper for my single-skin walls to try to reduce heating costs.

As usual the government have latched upon an easy, high-publicity-potential campaign which specifically benefits townies and ignores those of us who don't live in cities.

It's not benefits "for all", it's still very much for "some" only.

Sharon
  • jcw17
    jcw17 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please make people aware of door-to-door salesmen who are offering to come and fill your walls with cavity insulation - we get them approx. once a week!

We had someone about a month ago who wanted to come round and do this for us the following week but without conducting a survey first, he also claimed that it wouldn't cost us a penny but I knew having been looking into this we didn't qualify for a 100% grant. When I later contacted the company they couldn't tell me how this would be achieved, so I rang Trading Standards to ask if they knew anything about the company concerned. They said they were prevented from giving out details about specific companies but said they wouldn't recommened using anyone unless they were recommended by the Energy Saving Trust. Of course when I went to the EST website then this company wasn't listed at all. However, I did contact a company that was was recommended by the EST and they came and did a free survey yesterday morning and informed us that it is actually going to be quite tricky to fill our walls as we are going to need to hire scaffolding to go over the conservatory and move the shed so that they can get proper access to another wall. They all stressed how important it is for the walls to be completely filled as otherwise they will end up with temperature differences within a wall which could lead to condensation. My guess is that the original company would have just filled whatever they could get at and not worried about the areas they couldn't reach.

So, we have decided to wait until next year when we will need to hire scaffolding to paint the house and then will ask the EST recomended company to come back and install the installation ready for next winter.

So I guess it is the old story - if the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
  • Anyone been able to get cavity insulation for just an extension part of the house ? Our main house had cavity wall insulation many years ago and it's working well but we then converted the garage to an extra room. That part does not have cavity wall insulation (and it wasn't required by the building regs at the time).
    It's quite a large area but less than 20% of the total house and as a result it doesn't qualify under any of the free schemes.
    I'd be happy to pay to have it done but again can't find anyone interested in doing that (South Worcestershire) so - unless someone here knows better ? - will have to put up with the heat loss. Very frustrating !
  • ChyEbren wrote: »
    I really wish people, especially the government, but alas now including MoneySavingExpert, would stop advertising "free insulation for all". It's just not true. I live in rural Cornwall and my home, like so many in the countryside all over England, does not have cavity walls. I have had to spend thousands buying and installing special insulating wallpaper for my single-skin walls to try to reduce heating costs.

As usual the government have latched upon an easy, high-publicity-potential campaign which specifically benefits townies and ignores those of us who don't live in cities.

It's not benefits "for all", it's still very much for "some" only.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the feedback, we will bear it mind. Don't forget though, that the free insulation includes loft insulation too - so hopefully you can still benefit from that. Loft insulation usually saves more because heat rises.

MSE Archna
  • I've had my walls checked and unfortunately they are not suitable for cavity wall insulation (1930's house). Does anyone know if there is a subsidy for the external cladding-type insulation or internal? The roof is well insulated, I hasten to add.
    Thanks
  • I have been told by friends who are builders that the reason for having a cavity in walls is to prevent damp being able to travel from external walls to internal walls. Therefore, the idea of cavity wall insulation is ridiculous as it breaches the cavity and allows damp to penetrate to the internal wall. There is so much conflicting information out there with the government pushing for everyone to have cavity wall insulation but builders saying it is more hassle than it is worth and although you can get it put in for free (if you are eligible) it costs a whole lot more to get rid of if you have problems! I would really appreciate some advice on this as I am not quite sure what is best to do.
  • be careful to check that insulating your walls will not cause you damp. Google "Cavity wall cause damp" to get some interesting insights - AskJeff article is very good.:rotfl:
  • I believe there are some insulated wallpapers which may work for some people.
  • I called British Gas just now to check restrictions for the wall cavity insulation. I am not eligible because my neighbour in the flat above (1 person) is not over 70, not on benefits and not a British Gas customer (i own one of the 2 flats in a converted house).

If he pays to have the cavity insulation done, i then get mine for free. I can ask him but am pretty sure he's not going to fork out over £100 just so i can get something for free, even if it hopefully would save him money on heating in the long run.

Where is it written that people working full time, under 70 and not claiming benefits can afford the rising gas and electricity costs any more than those over 70 and claiming benefits??? :mad:
  • Some of the suppliers will install free insulation in flats - definitely EDF Energy - but you do have to get the insulation installed for the whole block, which means seeking agreement from all your neighbours.
    But on the EDF page:
    • Confirm your home is not a flat or maisonette, or that the insulation is not for an extension only.

Anyone rang EDF to ask about flats?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport