Housing benefits change with boyfriend moving in

2»

Comments

• Ally_E.
    Ally_E. Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zagfles wrote: »
    Don't get it then. Maybe the rent is too high to get HB on all of it - but even then would have thought you'd get some if you get CTB.

will call the council then, just wanted to post here since it's the weekend and people here might know something i'm missing. thanks for the advice!
  • melbi_uk
    melbi_uk Posts: 438 Forumite
    My daughter's rent is £450 too. She works 16 hours a week. She doesn't get all her rent paid, just some of it.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 March 2011 at 11:17AM
    If his net pay is £64 per hour surely he can find a bit more work and avoid the issue of benefits altogether? I know 'the economy' et al but it shouldn't really be affecting someone with that valuable a skill-set.

And what do you mean 'at the moment' he can not afford to [STRIKE]pay you rent[/STRIKE]contribute to the joint rent? A take home salary of £125K and worried about benefits.
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Ally_E. wrote: »
    Hi, my boyfriend is moving in with me in my shared accommodation. I am on housing benefits now and would like to know how this situation will be affecting my benefits. He's moving in, but won't be paying rent, as can't afford atm. He's working 12.5 hours a month and gets paid 800 post tax. I work less than 15 hours as well and get paid around 250. I want to notify the council of the change in circumstances, but the only change is that he's name will be officially on council tax bill, i won't be getting financial support from him, if anything I will be paying the rent on my own. Any advice what to expect from the benefits office?
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    If his net pay is £64 per hour surely he can find a bit more work and avoid the issue of benefits altogether? I know 'the economy' et al but it shouldn't really be affecting someone with that valuable a skill-set.

And what do you mean 'at the moment' he can not afford to [STRIKE]pay you rent[/STRIKE]contribute to the joint rent? A take home salary of £125K and worried about benefits.

was gonna say i wish i could get a job that pays £64 an hour:eek:, what does he do:D
    Take every day as it comes!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport