SL payments when abroad - just pay default?

Options
2»

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bmouthboyo wrote: »
    I would not say "out of sight, out of mind" as I am willing to pay and not just say I am travelling or worse ignore them. However can we keep morality out of this thread and focus on SLC default payments please.

Fraud was brought into it to stop you risking a criminal record, Aggrinal raised the issue of your contractual obligations which is a legal not simply a moral issue. Illegal activity is also against forum rules/ MSE ethos, I doubt you will find anyone here with knowledge who will give you advice on this.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • bmouthboyo
    Options
    I am a little unsure what you are going on about. I simply want to know more about the default payments that is all. I am not commiting a crime, nor asking help on how to. You may assume I will, but thats your prerogative.

Back to the topic. The SLC obviously publish the default amounts for a reason and i wish to know every detail of this, who they apply it to, when, how, why, consequences, benifits etc.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a little unsure what you are going on about. I simply want to know more about the default payments that is all. I am not commiting a crime, nor asking help on how to. You may assume I will, but thats your prerogative.

Back to the topic. The SLC obviously publish the default amounts for a reason and i wish to know every detail of this, who they apply it to, when, how, why, consequences, benifits etc.

Why don't you put these questions to the SLC? You are not intending on dodging payments or incorrectly filling in forms so you have nothing to hide, have you?
    Secondly how would the SLC ever find out my wage given only £700 is paid in GBP and the rest in local currency? Do they have the power to snoop around into accounts, ISA's etc?

I don't want to dodge the repayments but it is hard to establish an exact wage when accomodation, tax etc is sorted by my employer. I know my NET salary but if i start adding perks etc 9% over £9480 will hit me hard and defeat the point in moving abroad to save.

Thanks in advance :p

So how do I fall back to default payments? In the UK they know my wage via PAYE but abroad they can't see anything.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • bmouthboyo
    Options
    Well...
    This is a forum with a lot of people who may have experience in my situation, the forum is free and the forum is instant.

SLC are understaffed, have a vested interest, costs to call them and takes time.

Back to default payments please..
  • Poolie
    Poolie Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    Options
    It would be best if you phoned SLC for the information you require as it appears nobody has first hand experience.
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    OK I know I said I was out but sometimes, somebody asks a question that a simply 2 second google search answers the question....and then you have to wonder whether the OP expects to be spoonfed all their lives.

If you bothered to read the slc blurb you will see that the default payment is the payment that you would be liable to pay if you didn't inform the slc of your actual salary.

So by the sounds of it, go ahead , move abroad pay the default sum and you're happy......of course when the slc catch up with you ....well don't bother posting whinning how its all unfair that they're expecting you to pay the shortfall
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • bmouthboyo
    Options
    I know that the default is a figure you pay if made no contact, that is obvious! I am more interested in the technicalities of it. let me give a few scenarios:

1) I call the SLC and say my income will be hard to prove and irratic, would you be happy with default payments each month.

2) Default payments are exclusivly issued to people who make no contact for over 3 months and are paid in a lump sum not monthly.

3) Default payments are taken automatically from payees acount upon 3 months no contact .

4) Default payments are only ever accompanied with fines for finding the payee and interest on arrears.

I guess in essence I am asking for different situations the default has been applied.
  • bmouthboyo
    Options
    All sorted guys, apparently it is calculated from the net money paid into my account as thats whats on the payslip, result its less than the default

Thanks guys :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport