PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where can I find the best rental yields ?

I’m working in Milton Keynes at the moment (ahh, the glamour !!) and stopped on my way home in the lovely little town of Newport Pagnell.

Looking in the windows of the EA’s there, it seems that 2 beds are going for £175 - £195k, with rents in the region of £600 - £650 pcm.

This gives a rough gross rental yield of 5%, which is a lot healthier than around my way, and from a personal point of view, taking the long term view could work out to be a nice little earner.

Does anyone know of a good website or reference source that shows regional or local rental yields?

:beer: :beer:

Comments

• epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    195K interest loan @ 5.5% is £893 so basicly you are loseing £293 a month, with capital growth unlikely due to rising interest rates.

might want to look at the sums a bit first, throwing away £3500 a year plus maintainace and voids doesnt look like much of an investment.
  • KingKenny
    KingKenny Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.landlordtrader.co.uk/show_page.php?page=corporate_home_page

:beer:

Anything less than 7%, would not bother, put it in a savings account!:T
  • phlash
    phlash Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Post
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rolleyes: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Go for it Nollag, by all the indicators I can fathom, its a great investment. A 'nice little earner'.

If you're going to play the game, at least read the rules.
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.
    That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!;)
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Keep holding out for the crash chaps – the last one was 15 years ago, there’s bound to be another one in at least 15 years !!!

;)

Anyway, back to the original question "
    Does anyone know of a good website or reference source that shows regional or local rental yields?"
  • wecanhelpu
    wecanhelpu Posts: 630 Forumite
    You sound like a smart lad, why don't you look at land registry prices and rentals on rightmove and work out the yield yourself.

Don't forget there will be lots of "hidden" costs that you need to factor into your sums as well.

But you knew that didn't you?
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Where my BTL is located (NE), yields are only 6% at current market valuations (3 bed ex local authority around £80K mark; rental around £400 per month). Factor in voids and other costs and the actual yield falls (obviously).

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • phlash
    phlash Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Post
    You can look at the rental rates on sites like Rightmove, but I'd knock off £50 the advertised rate. In my case, the advertised rate was £650, and we agreed on £560.
    If you are going to go ahead, I'd do your sums very conservatively.

Oh and I get your 'yield' to be 4.46% at best! Which is better than most yields near you?! lol. Doesn't this just show how BTL at the moment is not a good investment?

If you bought at £195,000 and achieved £600 your yield would be 3.69%. That is assuming 100% occupancy (no voids), doesn't take into account maintenance, your time, agency fees, buildings insurance, solicitors fees etc etc.

I'm sorry, but if you don't realise that in the current conditions and looking at the numbers above that the case above is a "don't touch with a barge pole" BTL investment, then you really should walk away from your pie in the sky thoughts, and pat yourself on your back for not walking blindly into financial suicide.

If you'd bothered to type in a few numbers into http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/property/mortgagecalculator.shtml you would have found that assuming a 15% deposit for a BTL the interest on a 5.5% mortgage for £165,750 over 25 years would be £759.68. The repayment amount would be £1029.71 on a repayment mortgage. So if you fancy paying (1029.71 - 600) £429.71 + agency fees + maintenance + voids etc etc per month for your tenant to stay in your 'make me loadsa money BTL investment' then go for it.

On reflection, please tell me this is a wind up?!

As for my tone in this reply, to be honest with you I make no apologies, cocky meets cocky.
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.
    That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!;)
  • Ad
    Ad Posts: 223 Forumite
    Just another get rich quick wonderbrain.
  • deeber
    deeber Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 October 2010 at 5:21AM
    I know this is an old thread but I came to it via Google and it's an area that interests me so apologies for the necro.

Why are you all assuming he needs a mortgage? I see nothing in the OP's post that suggests he was borrowing to purchase.

Anyway, as an invesment, property offers the attraction of regular income plus the appreciation in property values (in the long term). Of course using mortgages to leverage is a dangerous game if the market/interest rates change drastically. But assuming it's a cash purchase, for those of you deriding the idea, assuming someone has say 200K to invest (to use the example from the OP) what are you suggesting is a better investment that will give around 5% income yield and still grow the capital?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure