Grants for new boiler

Im trying to find info for someone regarding grants for a new boiler, anyone had any experiences about the grants
threadbanner.gif
No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This sites may be of interest to you

http://www.eagagroup.com/grants/index.htm

https://www.energyefficiency.powergen.co.uk/advicecentre/category6/WarmFront.htm

I had loft insulation & cavity wall insulation done under the warmfront scheme quite recently.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi cattie

I applied for this last week - phoned the number given after reading about it in the local paper. We're over 60 but not on any means-tested benefits but the criteria include any disability-related benefit, and I'm on Attendance Allowance, which qualifies me. I had a letter on Saturday saying that an assessor would be in touch within 4 - 6 weeks - he actually phoned at 6 pm Sunday and is coming tomorrow mid-morning to assess what we need and what they can offer. Because of my AA we're apparently entitled to £2,700 to upgrade our heating system!!

As our monthly gas bills went from £28 for all of last year, to £35 in May, then to £64 from this month (due to the cost of gas on the wholesale market) we are keen to ensure our system is as up-to-date and as efficient as possible!

The phone no is 0800 316 2808.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ill pass them on, thankyou, its not deffinate yet that she will need a new one, well no she will need a new one but as to when that will be we dont know, it depends if the gas engineer can get the part if not then she will need a new boiler
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • margaretclare
    C_Ronaldo wrote:
    ill pass them on, thankyou, its not deffinate yet that she will need a new one, well no she will need a new one but as to when that will be we dont know, it depends if the gas engineer can get the part if not then she will need a new boiler

Bear in mind that there are criteria - she needs to be on some form of means-tested or disability benefit.

'If the gas engineer can get the part'.....this sounds as if the boiler is a bit ancient? In that case it may not be working very efficiently (ours isn't, it's 14 years old) and it might be as well to apply for a WarmFront grant - fuel efficiency is important what with the escalating cost of gas, as well as the effects on the environment.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Do you need to be claiming a benefit to get a central heating grant in Scotland if you're an OAP? My aunt doesn't claim anything because of a small private pension but can't afford a new system. The one she has is 35 years old and won't last much longer.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It would appear that you need to be claiming some benefits, I'll move your post over to the Silver Savers Board where there is a current thread on these grants :)
  • margaretclare
    lilac_lady wrote:
    Do you need to be claiming a benefit to get a central heating grant in Scotland if you're an OAP? My aunt doesn't claim anything because of a small private pension but can't afford a new system. The one she has is 35 years old and won't last much longer.

Is your aunt on any disability benefit i.e. attendance allowance? If so she would qualify. I didn't think we would qualify for the WarmFront grant because we're not on pension credit (income too high) but I get Attendance Allowance and that qualifies.

Margaret Clare
  • margaretclare
    I have had Loft insulation and cavity wall insulation through a goverment grant scheme call THE Total Home Effiency 0845 063 5000 you do need to be on a qualifying benefit but they do deal with council and housing !!! propertys has saved me money on my fuel bill

Yes, we had the assessor round on Monday - apparently they're not too busy at the moment so don't wait until winter!!

We can't have cavity-wall insulation because this 1930s property has single-thickness brick walls - there's no cavity. The next step is going to be a visit from a heating engineer to see whether our system needs completely replacing or just repair and upgrade. We're getting a new jacket for the hot water tank and that will make a big difference. As we're now paying £30 a month more for gas than we were this time last year, any improvement has got to be good for us as well as good for the planet.

Margaret Clare
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    My aunt isn't on any benefits - she hasn't claimed anything. Does this mean that it's eventually a doctor's decision whether or not OAPs get new heating systems?
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• margaretclare
    lilac_lady wrote:
    My aunt isn't on any benefits - she hasn't claimed anything. Does this mean that it's eventually a doctor's decision whether or not OAPs get new heating systems?

No. But to qualify for these grants - £2,700 in this case - there have to be some criteria. You have to be either eligible for one of the means-tested benefits OR one of the disability benefits. That seems fair enough to me. There have to be some kind of lines drawn.

Anyone who doesn't get either a means-tested benefit or a disability-related benefit can get a new heating system, of course they can. They just pay for it. Like we paid for our new roof a few weeks ago, cost £3,500, whereas if we'd been on pension credit we could have had it done for free.

Margaret Clare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport