Calculating CSA amounts

Hi all,

Please could you let me know if CSA is calculated on pre-tax or after-tax pay?

I've worked out that the amount i'm getting, compared to the hours my son's dad works, mean that he would effectively earn less than minimum wage. I've tried to explain this to the CSA, but they refused to look again at the calculations.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    After tax pay. Someone on minimum wages for 37.5 hours per week and no children living with them would pay £30,£40 or £50 depending on number of children. Then that is reduced by the number of nights they have the children by 1/7th for each night per week.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • xoAmyox
    xoAmyox Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    After tax pay. Someone on minimum wages for 37.5 hours per week and no children living with them would pay £30,£40 or £50 depending on number of children. Then that is reduced by the number of nights they have the children by 1/7th for each night per week.

Could you please let me know the approximate amount payable for someone on 32.5hrs per week at the NMW (6.08p/h bracket)?

TIA
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 November 2011 at 5:18PM
    xoAmyox wrote: »
    Could you please let me know the approximate amount payable for someone on 32.5hrs per week at the NMW (6.08p/h bracket)?

TIA
    BTW I'm assuming CSA2. He would earn about £180 after tax.

Edit: kfb is right it's £5 for the first £100 earnt then a percentage of the difference up to £200. 25%, 35% or 45%.
    So £25, £33 or £39 for 1, 2 or 3+ kids. If he has children in the house then it's reduced further.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • If the take home pay is less than £200 a week, the calculation is slightly different, but I'm not sure how it is worked out. I know that this happened with my ex, whose net pay was £192 a week. The amounts aren't vastly different, but the amount paid as maintenance is slightly less than the standard 15%, 20% or 25%.
  • xoAmyox
    Could you tell me more about the rules for earning less than £200 p/w?

Would any tax credits/benefits etc that he gets be added to the calculation as income?
  • If he is on tax credits then this should be taken into account as income, make sure that you tell the Csa you believe he is receiving them.
  • xoAmyox
    I can only assume that he gets tax credits as he's over 25 and obviously a low earner, do I have to prove this to the CSA?
  • xoAmyox wrote: »
    I can only assume that he gets tax credits as he's over 25 and obviously a low earner, do I have to prove this to the CSA?

It seems to be a bit of a grey area - if he is asked directly by the CSA then he has to tell them the truth, or face a fine of up to £1000. If he's working fulltime and claims to be earning under £200 per week then he may be on tax credits, or may not be, all you can do is ask them and then see if they contact him to investigate further.
  • xoAmyox
    I spoke to the CSA, they said they'd ask him, but if he says he's not claiming tax credits then they have to believe him?!

That sounds mad to me, he's on a really low wage, there's no way he's living off just that when he's flashing his new phone, new trainers etc at family birthday parties.

Is there anything more I can do?
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    xoAmyox wrote: »
    I spoke to the CSA, they said they'd ask him, but if he says he's not claiming tax credits then they have to believe him?!

That sounds mad to me, he's on a really low wage, there's no way he's living off just that when he's flashing his new phone, new trainers etc at family birthday parties.

Is there anything more I can do?

What more do you want to do?? You say in your first post, that you think the ex is living on less than NMW, so what do you want, to take even more off him? As for the phone etc, he could have got those on CC's or "buy now, pay whenever". How much does he pay now, and is it regular, or has he/is he trying to squirm out of paying?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure