Gutter Mesh To Keep Leaves Out

Comments

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    abbecer wrote:
    I'm sure i saw it in Aldi's on Thursday. Just ring first to check. Hope this helps.

Rebecca x

you cant ring the aldi stores as they are not in the phone book,
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,934 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    gutter syphons are advertised as keeping the gutters flowing even if they are full of leaves.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ahll - can recommend the screwfix stuff, easy to install and 'does what it says on the tin'. Two big oak trees failing to block my gutters this year...
    Not sure why Lisyloo took several days to install - must be a big house...
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ok I think I have got the gutter bit sorted now but what about the hopper/down fall bit.

I am still not sure what I am suppose to do with the cut down coke bottle and nor do I now what a gutter syphon is ! (can you tell I havent done this before)..lol

Is this a gutter sypon ?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gutter-Downpipe-Guard-STOP-LEAF-BLOCKAGES-fast-delivery_W0QQitemZ260031557144QQihZ016QQcategoryZ101416QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STOP-THAT-LEAK-NOW-GUTTER-PUMPS_W0QQitemZ220031094217QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101416QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Was it really a few hundred just to get it fitted -nothing else done ?

Yes. From memory the mesh cost about £100 and the fitting was £200.
    A professional job was quoted as £600 but we got a friend to do it for cash.
    Not sure why Lisyloo took several days to install - must be a big house...

Yes it's a big 5 bed house.
    The guy wasn't slacking at all.
    There were a few difficult areas to get to.
    This did include clearing out the gutters and downpipes as obviously it makes sense to do this first (otherwise you'll have to take the stuff off again to do it afterwards) and also makes sense to fix any problems you meet on the way.

I think you should allow time for clearing out and meeting one or two problems as it's unlikely that everything is going to be clear and perfect.
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what do people think of this stuff ? ---seems expensive though

http://www.mcmproducts.com/detail_products.asp?id=1
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • 6 metre roll of plastic mesh for £1 at most £1 shops !

No fittings but by just bending into an inverted U shape you will find the slates or tiles hold it in place, had mine in place in the heavy timber guttering native to Yorkshire and works a treat !

shammy
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,934 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    the second link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STOP-THAT-LEAK-NOW-GUTTER-PUMPS_W0QQitemZ220031094217QQihZ012QQcategoryZ101416QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is the gutter syphon that I saw advertised in the Times newspaper for £9.99 for 3!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ferdyb
    ferdyb Posts: 12 Forumite
    Our neighbour has some of this plastic leaf guard stuff in her gutters. Last month I had to dislodge for her a dead collared dove that had got it's foot caught through one of the squares and had been trapped there until it died. Not a pleasant thing, it had been there several days in the hot summer sun, say no more.
    On the face of it, you would have thought that it could easily have pulled it's foot out, but it seems not. It was quite difficult to dislodge, working only from an upstairs window using a home made hooky/pokey thing.

ferdy
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    is the gutter syphon that I saw advertised in the Times newspaper

Doesn't this only keep the downpipes clear and flowing?

It does not stop leave getting into the gutters.
    The problem with leaves in the gutters is that they can accumulate and the grow moss. This then acts like a sponge, soaks up water and can become heavy enough to break guttering (depending on the age and condition of course).

This may be an accpetable solution for some house, but may not be good enough for others as it seems to me to be a partial solution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure