Contract Phones for a 16-17 year old?

JSF
JSF Posts: 188 Forumite
OK

I think you have to be 18 before you can get a contract phone. However if they are responsible they are missing out on some good deals out there.

So is it possible for someone 16 or 17 to have a contact phone anyway, how is that done or is there another option I have not thought about that would get a decent handset and tarriff?

:confused:
:j

Comments

• you would have to take it out in your name. i took a contract phone out for my son as it wasnt available on PAYG...but its an o2 on line tarrif so i can check it on line.....
  • No!!! don't go there!
    Both my sons wanted the "in" handset a couple of years ago and nagged to go on contract - under 18, so I had to take in my name. However, after spending hundreds of pounds of their own savings to pay the bills and some of our money too; they eventually saw the light and agreed that I should cancel the contracts by paying off the monthly fee till the end of the contract year and buying them both O2 PAYG sims online with 300 free texts per month. We all learned our lesson and especially them and they would not go down that route again I can assure you.
  • Halaku
    Halaku Posts: 231 Forumite
    Some phone companies do give under 18s contract phones. Several years ago my sister managed to get one when she was under 18. But contracts signed by under 18s are not legally binding.
  • JSF
    Hmmm, yea I have that worry too Angela in that the contract would be in my name and it could be expensive. Pay as you go at least has a limit.

About time someone thought of something in between. Like a bar on the phone once the contract limit is reached but I suppose that where the phone companies make their money.

:rolleyes:
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree with you angela. My lad is after one of the new sony erricsons and it's only on contract. He's not got a hope in hell of getting it from me though, I've seen how quick he can go through his phone credit and the free 02 texts disappear sharp too.

I'm sure there are some sensible kids.......but not very many I would trust on contract.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • T Mobile do ufix. Get a good phone for free then pay 15 or 25 month (depends on the phone and on the number of minutes and texts)and then when the minutes are used it goes to payg. Then upgrade or get a new contract after the 12 months
  • JSF
    .... looks like his heart is set on a Samsung z500, but its £239 pay as you go, really expensive considering you can get it virtually free with a contract.

...christmass's should be banned :snow_laug
  • JSF wrote:
    .... looks like his heart is set on a Samsung z500, but its £239 pay as you go, really expensive considering you can get it virtually free with a contract.

...christmass's should be banned :snow_laug

get it with an o2 online 50 tarriff....its £19 per month you get 75 anytime mins and 300 free texts....you can check it online to make sure he dosnt go over....tje other option would be t mobile ufix tarriff...iv been checking them all out for my son for xmas...he's 12 and wanted the samsung d600 which is impossible to get on PAYG.......
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    JSF wrote:
    So is it possible for someone 16 or 17 to have a contact phone anyway, how is that done or is there another option I have not thought about that would get a decent handset and tarriff?

:confused:

Basically no. The contract is a credit agreement and they can't be signed by an under 18. (As regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 I think)

As has already been stated an over 18 can take out the phone contract and give it to a minor but whoever takes out the contract will be responsible for the bills. Even if you have the pay x a month there would still be a period when the contract would be a form of credit (until the first bill is paid) so can't be sold to under 18's.
  • bluezone
    bluezone Posts: 772
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I took on a contract phone for the young lad that works with my hubby. To stop him running up huge bills I set a limit on the bill so that once that limit is reached the phone cuts off - to get it up and running again I have to phone up to extend the limit. At least that way he knows how much he is spending. This could be an option for you maybe.
    😁
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport