Where to buy Shed Roofing Felt?

I am renovating an old garden shed and would like to purchase some new "roofing" felt for it. Does anyone know if the usual suspects (ie. B&Q, Homebase,etc), sell this and is it also purchased off a roll as I have a small "coal" shed that needs new roofing?
The shed is 12ft x 6ft.
Thanks
SJ

Comments

• Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Felt for sheds is really cheap and it is specifically for sheds so no need to buy the more expensive general purpose roofing felt. I did my 7 X 5 shed about 3 years ago with one roll that I think came from Wickes - only cost £4.99. Your shed would need 2 of these rolls or a larger roll, if available - total cost should be around a tenner.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    We got our roof felt from Wilkinson.
    Cheaper then B&Q and Wicks :D
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Although the other replies are correct, I find that cheap felt is horrible to use and easy to tear. I think it's worth considering buying a better quality felt that is nicer to use and will last longer (unless the shed is very old and will not last long enough to make it worthwhile!).

Best wishes
    Martin
  • You can also get shed roofing felt from Builders merchants but do ring round to see what they are charging. Did mine earlier this year and one local builders merchant was significantly cheaper for the same grade of felt. But if you are going for the basic thin stuff (lighter/easier to handle) Wilkinsons will probably be cheapest.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • possom46
    possom46 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I re-felted the playhouse last summer. Got mine from local B & Q. Good quality and easy to use.
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    I dont know about anyone else but when i refelt a shed i always leave the old felt on (extra protection) unless of course its been blown off! then i remove it all and get that black under liner
  • Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes

I left the old felt on mine too but not convinced this is a particularly good idea as the new felt went a little baggy in some places over time. I think it is probably easier to get a 100% job done by removing the old felt first.

Having said that the slightly baggy at times, cheap felt has been on the shed roof for around three years now with no problem.

An earlier poster was going on about using more expensive roofing felts but these tend to be stiffer and generally are designed to be used in hot tar applications. Bespoke shed felt is easier to work with.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • I'm not sure that I agree with this "use cheap stuff" I am having to redo mine for about the 4th or 5th time. I have been here for 21 years, but I am fed up. I am going to look into something better!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm not sure that I agree with this "use cheap stuff" I am having to redo mine for about the 4th or 5th time. I have been here for 21 years, but I am fed up. I am going to look into something better!

If you have had quotes already, do you have any advice for me? http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3212916&highlight=
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    I am finding it difficult to get my head around someone asking where to buy roofing felt.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family