Insuring a young driver - advice please!

Hi,
I need to insure my 17-year old son to drive our VW Golf. I'm not sure whether to insure the car in my name and add my son as a named driver or vice versa. Originally I was planning to add my son as a named driver on my wife's policy but my wife died recently so this is no longer an option. I would welcome advice/recommendations from any parents who have already looked into this area.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Gosh ahoythere that's so awful for you i'm so, so sorry for your loss.

With regard to the car insurance, it really depends who will primarily be using it. If its your car and your son is going to drive it occassionally then to start with it's better off in your name with him as a named driver.

However if it's going to be used as your son car and he is going to be the primary driver then it's probably best to put it in his name and have you as the named driver as this will not only help him build up his no claims discount (which will make it cheaper for him in the long run) but also if you did need to make a claim some insurance companys get funny about paying out if the person listed on the policy as the main driver isn't.

Hope this helps.
  • Labman_2
    Labman_2 Posts: 952 Forumite
    ahoythere wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need to insure my 17-year old son to drive our VW Golf. I'm not sure whether to insure the car in my name and add my son as a named driver or vice versa. Originally I was planning to add my son as a named driver on my wife's policy but my wife died recently so this is no longer an option. I would welcome advice/recommendations from any parents who have already looked into this area.

Many thanks.

The car should be insured in the main driver's name with the person who is driving the car the least as the named person.
  • As advised, there are advantages & disadvantages.

With him as policy holder and you as named driver - expensive, although he will start building his NCD, but yours will "lapse" in 2 years.

With you as the policy holder and him as named driver - cheap, but he doesn't build up an NCD in his own name.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    but also if you did need to make a claim some insurance companys get funny about paying out if the person listed on the policy as the main driver isn't.

Hope this helps.

You mean funny as not liking having policy holders who are committing fraud?

Be honest with them. If you really cannot decide who will be the main driver, put your son down. Dont fall into the trap of assuming insurance companies wont void policies because you dont think we cannot prove it or follow through with it.
  • misterh
    misterh Posts: 138
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As advised, there are advantages & disadvantages.

With him as policy holder and you as named driver - expensive, although he will start building his NCD, but yours will "lapse" in 2 years.

With you as the policy holder and him as named driver - cheap, but he doesn't build up an NCD in his own name.

Direct Line will allow build-up of NCD for all named drivers, so they are worth a look!
    "Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."
  • D'Oh! I forgot Direct Line.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    But even with Direct Line, if he's going to be the main driver he should be the proposer and named as the main driver.

If it's your only family car, then it's fine to add him as a named driver.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Don't forget about quidco.
    I got £120 cashback with Lloyds TSB which was great considering my insurance was £150.
  • hey, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. My brother is in the same boat, he's 21 and his insurance is sky high. Our dad died too last year so us all going on my mum's policy isn't an option really- one of us is going to have to get our own, and its going to be me when i pass, because i'm the older one so i've been having a look. Whatever you choose, i would say go to something like confused.com where they can search insurance companies for you- and there is an option where you can declare the fact that you've been a named driver on another policy and they will sort out appropriate insurance companies for you, that will take that into account. Also if he does go for his own policy, the tip i would give (and i'm looking for insurance on a bmw, so i do need to save) is be careful with what occupation you put on- if youve got more options then all the better.) there was a huge difference for me in quotes depending on what i put in i.e student, mature student, training to be a teacher. its all on how you word it. my 19 year old cousin is a damp proofer and a sound proofer. on a pull down menu, if he puts in "construction" his insurance is more expensive, as they make judgements about what youre going to be doing with your car and what type of person you are. if he gets to type his actual job title of "sound proof engineer" in, his insurance drops, as they dont think hes a builder with loads of kit in his car. I don't know what your son does, but its worth seeing. x
    "What...? I was only saying...."
  • nico26
    nico26 Posts: 823 Forumite
    Try Elephant.co.uk for a policy for him as the named driver.My two sons have insurance with them. They were quite resonable. Some insurance companies will not touch young drivers with a bargepole and others charge an arm and a leg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure