New Car deals with free insurance for 2011

irri_tant
irri_tant Posts: 176
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 19 July 2011 at 9:29PM in Motoring
are there any out there for 18 year olds?

looking at a new car as they work out the same price as some of the quotes we are seeing for a Y plate Punto 1.2 ELX 5 door

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMbmtde2CS0&feature=channel_video_title

Comments

• oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    peugeot, just add fuel deal.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/latest-offers/just-add-fuel/

but i think there are a few strings. such as the small print says you never own the car and very limited mileage.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/latest-offers/just-add-fuel/faqs/

In another thread someone reported putting down a deposit etc. then the dealer ringing them back saying insurers had refused and they couldn't go ahead 'cos they couldn't afford insurance of their own.
  • irri_tant
    Forumite
    OK

conditions rule this one out as it says 'Drivers over 25'

our driver is 18 who has just past the test

1st post edited to reflect the age of driver
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    if it's an 18yr old then the insurance is likely to be more than the car.

I think you will struggle with this as previously insurers who supported manufacturers deals have been stung.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For these deals with the free insurance the min age is usually 21/25, just buy a cheap run around
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2011 at 5:35PM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    For these deals with the free insurance the min age is usually 21/25, just buy a cheap run around

What like a Y plate Punto 1.2 ELX 5 . I can't see you getting much cheaper than that. What's the fine for getting caught with no insurance, £200? Or £6k on an insurance policy- I wonder why there are so many uninsured drivers on the roads these days.
    Unfortunately I don't have the answer except get a moped and save the driving for a few years when you are older. OP- have you tried doing the quotes as your age as 21 to see what the difference is?
  • irri_tant
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2011 at 9:28PM
    OP- have you tried doing the quotes as your age as 21 to see what the difference is?

Can't see the point in doing that as we are looking for insurance for an 18 year old this year not someone who is 3 years older.
    Unfortunately I don't have the answer except get a moped and save the driving for a few years when you are older. OP- have you tried doing the quotes as your age as 21 to see what the difference is?

I'm 52 and looking for insurance for my son
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    What like a Y plate Punto 1.2 ELX 5 . I can't see you getting much cheaper than that. What's the fine for getting caught with no insurance, £200? Or £6k on an insurance policy- I wonder why there are so many uninsured drivers on the roads these days.

driving without insurance is up to £5,000 in cash and a criminal record, which is a more severe penalty than the cash fine.

The problem with 18 year old drivers is that they're all tarred by one brush - insuring them is bordering on the crazy because they have people within their age group who's mentality is closer to their shoe size. Best thing is to pick him up a small car (nothing bigger than a 1.2) and do your homework on them - Autotrader will give you a guestimate of the insurance group of the vehicle and start adding named drivers on the policy. It's not going to be cheap for a few years, but the sooner he starts racking up NCB years the sooner the premium will come down - and for the prices, he can thank the no doubt thousands of idiotic 18 year olds that think "i have a license, i'm the man" when really they're silly little boys.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    irri_tant wrote: »
    Can't see the point in doing that as we are looking for insurance for an 18 year old this year not someone who is 3 years older.

I'm 52 and looking for insurance for my son

It may be a better deal if he puts off driving until he is 21- try a quote as 21 to see what the difference is.
  • 10JH
    10JH Posts: 287 Forumite
    Almost all free insurance offers are only for over 25s.

That said, you may be able to negotiate more money off if you don't qualify for the insurance offer.
  • We are having the same problem for our son. He passed his test this year and said we would buy him his first car, however the insurance quotes are unbelievable, anywhere between 17 and 44 THOUSAND pounds. I understand that because of his age (18) and probably because he is a male driver which is unfair as i have seen some shocking young female drivers aswell, insurance comanies will consider him high risk but he just wanted a small 1L runaround. He now feels like he has wasted his money on driving lessons because (in his words) would need to win the lottery just to insure a car. I was told one car company would give free insurance if you bought a new car but as someone pointed out it was for 25's and over. Unfortunatly i can see him driving anytime soon and i will continue to be his free taxi lol.
    :EasterBun
    If "poli" means many, and "tics" means bloodsucking creatures what does "politics" mean?:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure