Building up joists to lay down loft boarding

2»

Comments

• My oh bought lengths of 3x2 timber (I think,) and had them cut into 6" pieces, These were then 'glued' (using hard as nails or similar) to the existing joists at regular intervals, it was very, very time consuming, but he was then able to lay loft boards on top of these and screw them down.
    The floor is very sturdy, the only problem was around the loft hatch, which had to be left at the original level and the insulation 'squashed'. (this is because we have a hip roof and the head height isn't very high where we enter the loft. Hope you can make sense of this because it was definately worthwhile.
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We're having our loft done in a couple of week's time, and the guy who's doing it suggested screwing cross battens at right angles to the joists, to raise it to the required 10 ins. Then when he comes to do the loft, he will insulate between the joists, sliding it underneath the cross-battens, then put the remaining insulation at right angles between the battens. Then we can board on top of that.

Does that sound reasonable? Any thoughts appreciated!
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    I'd say that was very good way of doing it harryharp :) It might be quicker doing it with him, first lay it out all in the standard joists, then screw battens at right angles, and let him finish the insulation, if you are happy working with him. Be careful of cables.
  • harryharp
    Thanks isofa. But I don't think he'll want to wait around while my husband screws in the battens- I suspect it's not a quick job? (He's going to come on a week-day while OH's at work anyway)
  • madazan
    madazan Posts: 13 Forumite
    I was in the same boat. Had the loft insulation in between the joists and then running perpendicular on the joists. Had to take all the "stuff" out of the loft. What I did was use 4x2's screwed running across the existing joists in between the loft insulation thereby keeping the height. Then put the loft boards on top and screwed them into the new joists. It took two hours to do an 8' x 8' foot area and only cost £50 for the joists and loft boards.

You have to remember that you need to keep the height of the insulation to keep the heat.
  • stephen_v
    stephen_v Posts: 16 Forumite
    I've just Had my insullation done. I also want to have storage options. Problem is, I had 3inchs of insulation. The joists are only 3 inchs. I have now an extra 8 or so inchs of insullation!!!!!!! I've decided for now to roll some insullation up and srew loft boards down to original joists. The new insullation by the way is laid at right angles to old joists!! so make building up of joists difficult. I really can't build up the joists by 8inches!!! its just too much. I am considering getting some 2x4 but not sure how to attach it to old joists as surely I can't get a screw more than 4inch long????

why cant the industry realise we all use ur lofts and come up with a better solution. Why dont the insullation companies ask what u want to do with your loft before agreeing the grants schemes??
  • harryharp
    stephen_v wrote: »
    I've just Had my insullation done. I also want to have storage options. Problem is, I had 3inchs of insulation. The joists are only 3 inchs. I have now an extra 8 or so inchs of insullation!!!!!!! I've decided for now to roll some insullation up and srew loft boards down to original joists. The new insullation by the way is laid at right angles to old joists!! so make building up of joists difficult. I really can't build up the joists by 8inches!!! its just too much. I am considering getting some 2x4 but not sure how to attach it to old joists as surely I can't get a screw more than 4inch long????

why cant the industry realise we all use ur lofts and come up with a better solution. Why dont the insullation companies ask what u want to do with your loft before agreeing the grants schemes??
    My husband did just this- ie. build the joists up to the required 10 inches by using cross battens (2X7 or 2X8 I think) screwed to the walls (not the joists) so that they are sort of suspended and not putting any weight on the joists. He then screwed noggins between the battens to make it more sturdy. He did all this BEFORE they came to lay the insulation, and they slid it all underneath the battens and between the joists. Then he laid loft boarding. It was all very time consuming and all the wood was expensive, but as you say, what use is a loft if you can't store things up there.
  • I would like to make 2 points regarding insulation

1. Electric cables have to be de-rated by 50% when totally enclosed by insulation- a 6mm shower cable may supply a 9kw shower for a while, but cover it in insualtion and it could seriously overheat (should be 10mm anyway)

2. Joint boxes (usually for lights) are in lofts and NEED to be easy to get to. If you cover things up make sure you leave a screwed hatch.
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport