PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mouldy shower curtain

Comments

• DonnaP
    DonnaP Posts: 458 Forumite
    Can anyone tell me how to remove mould from a shower curtain?

I have tried washing it and it has made no difference whatsoever! :rolleyes:

Thanks
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Donna,

The replies on this older thread might help:

Mouldy shower curtain

I'll merge your thread with that one later to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • In a small attempt to save money (normally I would just go out an buy a new one) I need to clean my shower curtain, it's started to look a bit mildewy at the bottom. It's just an ordinary plastic curtain with a nice pattern on it, am I ok to soak it in the bath with some water and bleach? Or is there a better way to do it?
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • I've already put plastic ones and plastic covered fabric ones straight in the washing machine on a non-rinse cycles with normal detergent. Its always worked for me....
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Waxy_Bean wrote: »
    I've already put plastic ones and plastic covered fabric ones straight in the washing machine on a non-rinse cycles with normal detergent. Its always worked for me....

Put a towel in the wash if you do it in the machine machie. The abrasiveness of the towel helps clean it better :D
  • Thanks......would never have thought to put it in the washing machine!
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • Soaking it in soda crystals is a more eco-friendly option than bleach, just as good and no nasty after-smell. You can add the soda crystals to your bath water (when you've got out of your bath!) and leave it overnight. I put mine in the washing machine with soda crystals instead of washing powder and vinegar instead of conditioner. Works a treat. Putting a towel is in a good idea - will do that next time.
    The independent woman's checklist for success :
    1. Look like a lady, 2. Act like a man, 3. Work like a dog
    Life instructions : 1. Breathe in, 2. Breathe out, 3. Repeat ad infinitum
    [strike]2008 - £4k challenge member 063[/strike] gave up halfway thru, not sure I even earned that much, so probably achieved it :confused:
  • I always put mine in the machine too :)
    :j £2 coins = £2.00 :j
  • If it's a slippery shower curtain it's a good idea to put it in with a few towels, the roughness of the towels rubs against it and gives a better wash. I was also advised to soak the curtain in the bath with the cheapest biological washing powder you can get and that helped. Finally vinegar in the rinse water apparently inhibits bacteria regrowth.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I put mine in the machine but I find it doesn't get all the mildew off, so I soak the mildewy bit in bleach and water and that usually works. You have to keep on top of it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure