PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - my 10 jars of tomato chutney are too runny.

Have grown my own tomatoes and made green tomato chutney yesterday - 10 jars.
Unfortunately it is too runny, I could scream. Made it last year and it was lovely. Think I haven't let the vinegar evaporate enough.

Don't know whether to put it back in the pan and boil it down, re sterilise jars or should I just chuck it.

Any thoughts.
Anne
Money SPENDING Expert

Comments

• natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi you could reheat and use a bit of arrowroot to thicken it arrowroot is clear so won't affect the look of the chutney
    good luck
    Nat
    x
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • Yes if you put it back into the pan and bring back up to the boil, then carry on simmering it until it is thicker. Wash and sterilise your jars again and rebottle and it should be fine.

HTH
    Anne
  • Strain some of the excess vinegar off - just put the chutney into a sieve and let some of the vinegar drain off.

Then ... put the chutney back in the pan and simmer until thicker. A long slow simmer is best, with the lid OFF the pan. Had to the same with my plum chutney at the weekend.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A long slow simmer is best, with the lid OFF the pan. Had to the same with my plum chutney at the weekend.

That is were I made the mistake. For some stupid reason I put the pan lid ON so didn't let the vinegar evaporate.
    When I get home from work today will try and fix.:mad: Just the thought of having to clean those jars again.

Thanks for all your comments.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    deginately reboil then repot into sterile jars
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hurray,
    I strained some of the vinegar away and simmered the rest to reduce the vinegar and it has at last thickened up enough to put back into the jars.

Feeling quite pleased with myself. Will try and make another batch in a couple of weeks and see if I can get it right first time.
    Regards
    Anne
    Money SPENDING Expert

• demented_2
    demented_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    bluenose1 wrote:
    Hurray,
    I strained some of the vinegar away and simmered the rest to reduce the vinegar and it has at last thickened up enough to put back into the jars.

Feeling quite pleased with myself. Will try and make another batch in a couple of weeks and see if I can get it right first time.
    Regards
    Anne

Hi would you post the recipe please, I have never made Tomato chutney but would love to make some.
    Thanks demented
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I followed Catznine's recipe for chutney, and it tastes lovely, but it isn't thickening up. I have simmered it for a while, but not sure whether I haven't given it long enough.

Any idea what I can do :confused:
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    It should set as it cools down, if not try a fast simmer but stir it or else it will catch. My last batch was a little bit runny as I didn't have the time to do this (puppy was a bit demanding:rolleyes:) it still tastes good and will do for popping on some ham in salads etc. Are you making apple chutney or plum? Plums have more liquid in so perhaps a little less vinegar next time.
    hth

Catz x
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • HI

Thanks for the reply, I made apple and plum as that was what was on the trees in the garden. It tastes lovely, but is quite runny, but I'll try less vinegar next time.

I'll just put it down to another learning experience on my way to being a Domestic Goddess :rotfl:
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport