Arnold Clark *advice Please*

2»

Comments

• Raggie
    Raggie Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    deanos wrote:
    Even if it says non refundable on the receipt if they cant offer the car that was ordered i fail to see how they can keep the money.

The OP said that the receipt state the amount and the car ordered..

so your right.. they can not supply the car ordered so have to refund.

If they refuse once more.. stop discussing it with them.. and file a claim via .. Moneyclaim.. online.. a quick goole will find the website..

I recenlty placed an order on a the new freelander.. wife old car.. (frelander).. developed a problem.. (a further one.. lol).. and we decided not to bother with another landrover.. the dealership gave our money back imediatley we asked.. no fuss no hassle..

OP .. do not take any rubbish from the dealer.. its your money..

On another point.. did you pay by Credit Card.. if so get them involved.
    The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary…
  • I, for my sins, used to work for Arnies in Aberdeen and it was the Citroen branch I was based in. I lasted six months. The six months before me they went through four salesmen so I think I lasted pretty well.

I could cite a number of things that went on that made me unable to sleep at night but the most important thing for you right now is to get your deposit back.

Once you've finished looking at the arnoldclarksucks website then google "sale of goods act" Your order form will have stated the five door model. they could not supply this. Therefore a breach of the act.
  • ooro
    ooro Posts: 59 Forumite
    I just (on Tuesday) had a very bad experience with these guys and looking for advice I came across this thread - how did it go. I assume u got your cash eventually?

I have written to complain but from everything I have seen I doubt anything will be done.
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    We had a really bad experience with Arnold Clark when we bought a brand new car with Free Insurance two years ago. When we collected the car they told us the insurance had commenced on the same day, and the certificate would be posted out to us. When we still hadn't got the insurance certificate 2 weeks later we found that Arnold Clark had forgotten to arrange it, and that we'd been driving a brand spanking new £13k car around for 2 weeks with no insurance!

Technically it was our fault for not demanding to see written evidence of the insurance at the time of collection, but believe me, they were SO convincing and reassuring when they said it was being sent out in the post!

To be fair the sales manager was very embarrassed and apologetic, and gave us a full tank of petrol to say sorry.

To the OP, I would concur with what's already been said. Demand your money back, give them a few days and if they don't pay up, issue a claim at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once you've got your money back find another Citroen dealer and never set foot in another branch of Arnold Clark.
  • JasonW_2
    JasonW_2 Posts: 705 Forumite
    Arnold Clark are notoriously shockingly bad, and have an extremely poor reputation but instead of trying to get rid of that and do more for their image, they appear to live up to it and break every record for bad service. I've had the misfortune to use them before and vowed never to again, and in 10 years have never even had to think twice about driving past their empty show rooms when looking for a new car.

My dad ordered a car from them about 6 weeks ago in Edinburgh, and was paying cash for it, £12k focus so not a small sale for them. Anyway, 2 weeks later no car and no call. Dad phoned and they said they were having problems with delivery, and it would be any day now. Another 2 weeks later and several identical calls he went through and cancelled the order and got his refund back, which while only £100 in this case, they admitted it was their fault. Perhaps this is where the problem is, they can't admit their mistake.

Rather than be too hasty, if you do want a car, then at least try and get an amazing deal, and explain they got it wrong and you would trust and respect them more if they admitted it was their mistake all round, and that you wish to buy a car if you can get a very good deal. But please if you do want to go for this, and they do agree, then make sure you DO get a good deal, not pre-registered cars or anything, there is nothing wrong with this, it's just cheaper for the garage to sell and can add the same profit on. There are many tricks in the motor trade so be careful - but by same token there are plenty other garages and the only way to get through to these scum is to spend your cash elsewhere and let them walk out the door knowing they screwed up again and lost commission.

J
  • mitchb
    mitchb Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    taxiphil wrote:
    We had a really bad experience with Arnold Clark when we bought a brand new car with Free Insurance two years ago. When we collected the car they told us the insurance had commenced on the same day, and the certificate would be posted out to us. When we still hadn't got the insurance certificate 2 weeks later we found that Arnold Clark had forgotten to arrange it, and that we'd been driving a brand spanking new £13k car around for 2 weeks with no insurance!

Technically it was our fault for not demanding to see written evidence of the insurance at the time of collection, but believe me, they were SO convincing and reassuring when they said it was being sent out in the post!

To be fair the sales manager was very embarrassed and apologetic, and gave us a full tank of petrol to say sorry.

To the OP, I would concur with what's already been said. Demand your money back, give them a few days and if they don't pay up, issue a claim at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once you've got your money back find another Citroen dealer and never set foot in another branch of Arnold Clark.

Similar thing happened to me at the ayr branch but it was a 12 month mot. Luckily the car still had 2 months mot left on it when i bought so i wasnt driving around without one. However it took me weeks of phoning, chasing the certificate before they finally admitted they hadnt done one.
  • madduck
    madduck Posts: 291 Forumite
    Can't understand Taxiphil's situation though. Surely if it was a new car it could only be taxed on presentation of the insurance certificate? I've bought a new car from AC in the past (with the infamous free insurance and the massive excess that it offered) and I had to delay picking it up because the insurance documents took a while to come through. Couldn't be taxed until insurance docs came through, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure