Upgrading Barclaycard Gold

Comments

• Andybez38
    Andybez38 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :j Yes there is news. On allowing me too upgrade to a gold card, i then asked for a new credit limit. I did have a £3k limit and asked for £5k. They Refused me that limit but did up it upto £4k :beer:
    I came into this world with nothing and I'm gonna leave with nothing.
  • Andybez38 wrote:
    :j Yes there is news. On allowing me too upgrade to a gold card, i then asked for a new credit limit. I did have a £3k limit and asked for £5k. They Refused me that limit but did up it upto £4k :beer:

Sorry if this very nosey, but how did you apply for your credit limit increase? Was it online or telephone, also, how do you mainly use your card? i.e purchases, BT??
  • Hi

I called and asked. Went from a classic to a Platinum straight away, asked for a credit limit increase and was accepted again straight away from 4k to 9k.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Andybez38
    Andybez38 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I originally contacted them through the online barclaycard site, through the contact us. I then told them i was not happy with the intrest i was paying and could they reduce it in anyway, as i was going to close my account. They replied telling me that it was being passed on to another department dealing with the intrest. In the same e mail they said i was eligible to upgrade to a gold account. I replied saying i was happy to upgrade, but was it lower intrest, and was the credit limit higher. Again they replied saying the intrest was now interest rate will be 11.9% and 17%
    interest will be charged
    for all cash advances for a Gold account. So all in all it was via the website via contact us. I have only ever used this account for purchases and there now is a zero balance having paid off £870.00 last statement. :rotfl:
    I came into this world with nothing and I'm gonna leave with nothing.
  • Catseyez
    Catseyez Posts: 993 Forumite
    Cima, I've just replied to your PM.

Are you sure you can't get a better card from another provider? Before I got upgraded to Platinum, I'd been late and missed a couple of payments. But I also bank with them, so that might help.

The more products you have with Barclays, the more they like upgrading. I also have a Platinum current account and that was also arranged for me without asking. The reason I qualified was because I held a Goldcard and a loan of £5000. If you go to the Barclays bank site, it lists all the requirements for each type of account.

I can't see where it lists the requirements for a platinum credit card though.

The only thing you can do, is phone and ask what the requirements are. I find with Barclaycard, the sweeter you are on the phone, the more likely they are to want to do things for you. Don't bother with online, go for the personal touch!
  • What are the benefits of upgrading from Gold to Platinum? Is there any?
    **BERTIE**

Did you Know: It costs more than £325,000 a day to run the lifeboat service? (with no government funding) Please donate to the RNLI
  • desiman
    desiman Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    No benefits whatsoever!
  • desiman wrote:
    No benefits whatsoever!

So whats the point?
    **BERTIE**

Did you Know: It costs more than £325,000 a day to run the lifeboat service? (with no government funding) Please donate to the RNLI
  • PJHilder
    PJHilder Posts: 155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just got off the phone to Barclaycard after reading the credit card shuffle article. Basically asked them if they could offer me a better rate than my current 19.9. My limit with them is only £400 currently a graduate card.

So they said they'd try to upgrade me to a Gold card. Somehow I don't see them giving me it. All I asked for was a better rate and didn't mention anything about credit limits.

Is it possible to get a gold card with such a low limit? ;)

Paul.
  • towseriv
    towseriv Posts: 322 Forumite
    It is poss to get a gold card with any limet. In fact when you graduate you will get a Gold card automatically. It is there way of creating a loyalty to kepp you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure