Coppers into hard cash

Do you have draws, tins, pockets - and whatever else can be used to shove things in - full of 1 and 2 pence pieces?

Can be bothered to count them all out, bag them up and take them to the bank?

Well, the other day I decided to have a root around the house and found myself a small carrier bag full of the things.

I promptly took them to my local Asda where they have a copper coverting machine, just tip your mouldy old coins in and wait as it counts up your penny's and then spits out some nice crisp notes.

You should have a look round the house, who knows, this time tomorrow you may have an extra £30 in your pocket.
<('@')> Oink

Comments

• Tony_H_3
    Tony_H_3 Posts: 2,643
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't you find that noisy machine a little embarrassing, I used one once and it sorted in my favour. The noise was terrible though you can feel people staring at you even when facing the machine.

I now have electonic postal scales which I weigh coins on giving precise amounts of 1p's, 2p's, 5p's & 10p's I then deposit them straight into my daughters savings account!!
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Take it down the post office (I think the supermarket machines take a cut?)

Use the stamp machines to either buy stamps or to convert into 20ps (or both once you'ce cleared out the 20s)

;D
  • Ha ha it is a bit cringe-worthy while you're waiting....now that stamp idea sounds good to me...me being a regular ebayer.....
    <('@')> Oink
  • Chandy
    Chandy Posts: 278 Forumite
    The machines in Asda (CoinStar?) take about 7% as a cut.

Wish I'd thought of the idea though!
  • steeev
    steeev Posts: 336 Forumite
    The machines in Asda (CoinStar?) take about 7% as a cut.

Wish I'd thought of the idea though!

i think some of the machines let u make a donation to charity too, not sure of the exact details tho
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the coinstar machines do donate the 7% they take to charity, so at least you are giving a bit more to a worthwhile cause.

little miss divadee saves all her coppers and does this.
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Very good idea, I never seen these in Asda. Although my nearest Asda is 60+ miles away, I can only make it couple of times a year usually for clothes for kids and ME.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • I've got one of those big whiskey bottles almost full of everything from pennies to £1 coins. going to look a right plank emptying that into one of those machines at ASDA
  • small
    small Posts: 133 Forumite
    I took some coins to the machine in a Sainsbury the other day. Ended up with £145 for a year's wprth of coins.

Had fun doing it with my boy (2 yrs old). I did sort out the pound and 50p coins as we went to save the 7% on them.

There was a student wating behind me with a cup. He put through £3.30 after me but the machine broke. they think I broke it with too many coins!!!
  • merrik
    merrik Posts: 7 Forumite
    Newspapers

Thats where I get rid of my change.

Ok, newspapers may be an expense to some , but I occasionally by a copy of the times or the Sun and just take a bag of change from my pot and take it with me to the newsagents.

I keep change bagged up in £2 bags and have £6 quid in total in the pot. If I got above that , it goes in the bank.

Also handy to keep a bag in the car for that unexpected expnse , like you think you have a flat and the petrol station you find doesn give free air.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure