PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Minimum bedroom sizes

A house is being advertised by a local estate agent as a 3 bedroom, but two of the rooms are very small.

Is there a minimum room size for a bedroom, that estate agents have to stick to? Or can they market anything as a bedroom?

Comments

• welshy_2002
    welshy_2002 Posts: 96
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can you fit a bed into each small room?
  • dudes_2
    dudes_2 Posts: 93 Forumite
    That is the rule?
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As long as it has a window I suppose it's a room. Otherwise it would be a cupboard.

I viewed a new flat years ago that was being marketed as a two bedroom. The second bedroom had a cot in it and a chest of drawers. They'd taken the door off. I doubt it would have fitted a single bed (not if you wanted to close the door afterwards, anyway).
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There's no rule really. Getting a bed in it does help! How big are the bedrooms you are talking about?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Sammy85_2
    Sammy85_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    I have a house where the 3rd bedroom doesnt fit a regular length bed in it, its more a nursery than a bedroom, it was still marketed as 3 bed though.
    :jProud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11 :j
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    For new build, developers have to show a bed, chest of drawers, and wardrobe or built in cupboard, on the plans to show they are applying for permission for 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom etc dwellings. However there is no minimum requirement under Building Regulations.

I thought habitable rooms had to have windows (kitchen may or may not count as habitable depending on locality) but the 'easy' and 'yotel' style hotels, which don't, suggests there is a way round that.

There are minimum room sizes defined for Houses of Multiple Occupation in Scotland.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Brallaqueen
    Brallaqueen Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    I used to think that rule of thumb for a double bedroom was 10 foot square, not sure about singles?
    Emergency savings: 4600
    0% Credit card: 1965.00
  • egyptiangirl
    egyptiangirl Posts: 425 Forumite
    In my uni student house I lived in a 'bedroom/cupboard' - it basically couldn't fit a single bed with the door fully closed. It was classed as a bedroom that I paid rent for. Happy days :D
    Always on the hunt for a bargain.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    my EA told me single bed + a wardrobe you could open the doors of had to fit. think it's more a guideline than the law tho!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • mqandy
    mqandy Posts: 196 Forumite
    I viewed a new build flat recently.

The 'double' bedroom was unfurnished and barely fitted the 3 of us in the room to view. Ended the viewing there and then.

The sooner we get a decent minimum size law a la France, Germany et al, the better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure