Egg Card Insurance Offers

Updated 3 May 2005

Egg* have brought back their Car insurance cashback scheme, refunding £50 off your premium if you use your Egg card to pay for it. These payments towards your premium will then be at 0% for 12 months (although do remember that if you have other balances on your egg card, the repayments will be restructured towards this 0% balance first, costing you more interest on the expensive debt See The Credit Card Shuffle for a way around this)

Buying this online offers a further 10% reduction of your premium. The best way to look at this is to see how cheap you can get your car insurance (see the Car Insurance Cost-Cutting article) and then if the price quoted by Egg is less than £30 more expensive, then go for that and you're quids in.

*Affiliated link: If a link has a star, then clicking via it means a contribution is made to MoneySavingExpert.com, which helps it stay ad-free, sponsorship-free and free to use. This in no way impacts any editorial decisions (what I write), costs you anything or changes the product. For an identical link which doesn’t help the site go to www.egg.com For more on how it works and the site’s non-profit driven ethical and financial policy read this.
Former MSE team member

Comments

• Just bought this as an existing Egg Customer. Starts at the end of March and only costs £15 for myself and wife. I spent more than that insuring a day trip to Paris on Eurostar. The only catch I can see is the Continuous Authority Transactions (CATs) you are setting up allowing them to debit your card next year. Whilst I appreciate that CATs are difficult to stop once you have set them up I am sure it will not be a problem as it is also with Egg.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    I would have thought that when the renewal comes up they have to let you,thus giving you the chance to cancel.
    Maybe not, and this is why it looks a good deal now.
    They are hoping in 12 months people will have forgot or just carry it on.
    One thing for sure it won`t be £15 on renewal.
    A good deal now but keep the renewal in mind.
  • bristolboy25
    bristolboy25 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Yes you really do have to be careful with this one as I got caught out. There is no way that they can leave the insurance premium at 0% if you have other debts on the card at the time that you take the insurance out.

Please also be aware that they will take the premium as soon as you send back the agreement as opposed to when your car insurance starts from. Maybe this is common sense but I certainly didn't expect them to take it immediately.

The way to keep this 0% and maybe pay off monthly by DD or pay off at the end of the year ot whatever you want to do is to ensure that the balance is ZERO before phoning them to take up your car insurance or doing it online.

Hope this helps some and prevents people being tricked like me!
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,494
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wow, thanks. I just saved more than £400!

My insurance has always been very high, because my car is an import, so very few insurers will give cover. With no competition, you pay through the nose. The best deal I could find was £660, through Norwich Union.

I had long since learnt that all the cheap insurers don't cover imports, but just to see how much extra I am paying I tried the egg quote. I was gobsmacked that when I had to select the car model it included my imported version as an option. With the £50 off for paying by egg card, my premium is down to £249.

I don't know if they cover other imports, but I strongly suggest that owners of imports give it a go.

I have a big stoozed balance with them at 0% already, so I guess I get 0% on the lot. I imagine that when my 0% BT period ends in September, I will have to pay off everything, but that's fine.
    koru
  • Thats a massiv insurance saving"
  • I'm unhappy with Egg - been with them for insurance for two years and decide to renew in march. Paid with egg blue card 0% and get told over the phone that i am entitled to £30 cashback (as it was at the time) now still no cashback and egg are saying that this was for new customers only... anyone got any ideas on the best way forward?

ta
  • bristolboy25
    bristolboy25 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Tell them you will cancel and re apply, do it over the net to get additional 10% discount? As now £50 cashback again as opposed to £30. :rotfl:
  • Redrum_2
    Redrum_2 Posts: 898 Forumite
    Tell them you will cancel and re apply, do it over the net to get additional 10% discount? As now £50 cashback again as opposed to £30. :rotfl:

Don't even tell them! I faced the same thing at the back end of last year. Wasn't going to get cash back as an existing customer, so applied again "as new" and got the cash back, plus the 10% online saving

Saved about £80 on my renewal quote!!
  • pool182
    pool182 Posts: 55 Forumite
    I too was an existing customer who they tried to cheat out of the £50 cashback offer.

I told them I was unhappy and the terms and conditions were too vague and existing customers were being punished unfairly. The only way round this I was told is to set up a new policy which she kindly did for me over the phone.

Result!
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 78
    First Post
    Forumite
    Egg are doing their cheap Annual Family Travel Policies again for a limited time it appears, :)

Click here for info

The general gist of it is,
    All this for £15:

Cover for the whole year, no matter how many European trips you make - up to a maximum of 31 days per trip.

Family cover - covers two adults and any number of their children aged under 18 (or 22 if in full time education).

17 days' winter sports cover automatically included.

Just pay an extra £35 to upgrade the policy to worldwide cover, or £15 for business travel.

Apply by midnight 14 June 2005 and your cover will start on 15 June.

Apply between 15 June and midnight 30 June 2005 and your cover will start on 1 July 2005.

At this time of year it look like a good offer :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport