PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you use Calgon?

Don,t know if this is the right place to post but wondered what your views are on this subject.

There was an advert on today, regarding how many washing machines end up in landfill because their owners failed to use "Calgon". Now I don't know about you but the price of Calgon puts me right off - I think it is very expensive.

However, if they were to even half the price of it, I think many more people would find the money in their budget to purchase it. They may see their sales skyrocket. What do you think? Do you use Calgon in your washing machine or does it not seem very money saving to you? And maybe someone has a plumber for a husband who can verify that Calgon really does prolong the life of a WM.

Or do you think our good old washing soda and vinegar would do just as good a job??

All opinions welcome :)
Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    two years ago my old washing machine was playing up and in came the man from the repairers. I asked him about the benifits of using Calgon and he told me that the likelehood of a washing machine becoming clogged like that, was one in a million.He had been in the buisness for 27 years and he had never yet come across one like the one in the advert. he told me that I would be better of putting my cash back in my pocket as in his opinion it was the biggest load of tosh he had ever seen
    So I have never bothered buying it. I have had four washing machines over the last 41 years and none of them have ever had a problem like that .I always put a couple of desert spoonsfuls of ordinary washing soda every other wash and it keeps it clear.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    larmy16 wrote:
    What do you think? Do you use Calgon in your washing machine or does it not seem very money saving to you? And maybe someone has a plumber for a husband who can verify that Calgon really does prolong the life of a WM.

I asked my relative, plumber for 36 years and his father before him.... He just laughed at me when i asked him about calgon. He said forget Calgon, save your money. The adverts are scare tactics like the 99.9% of all germs adverts - want to make you feel that your household is at risk. He said he has never seen damage like they show on the advert. Also went on to rant and rave about the british gas boiler breakdown service who say that thesedays you can't get a plumber to come out and that the cost of repairs are SOOOO expensive. All lies - the biggest scandal is the price of their boiler breakdown insurance.

ANyway....
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I once asked a plumber, he too laughed & said don't waste your money. Even here in Surrey where we have some of the hardest water in the country, you are better off with a splash of vinegar or soda crystals to soften the water.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My dad was a washing machine repair man for many a year....he's always said you don't need to use calgon... If you use vinegar it will prevent some of the limescale buildup but it's like anything these days, not built to last.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Lillibet wrote:
    I once asked a plumber, he too laughed & said don't waste your money. Even here in Surrey where we have some of the hardest water in the country, you are better off with a splash of vinegar or soda crystals to soften the water.

HTH

I am in Surrey too Lillibet. I have never used Calgon either and my washing machines have always lasted 5 years + and I usually just buy cheapest to mid range models. Great to hear a plumber's opinion.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    After reading the suggestions on here about vinegar in the washing machine I decided to try it.

We have had our kitchen plumbing and the washing machine apart three times now to clear the gunge that ended up clogging the pipes. Now they are all nice and clear though hopefully we won't get any more problems as I use the vinegar in every wash.
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    If you really want to use a water softener, Lidl do their own brand tablets for the washing machine.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Soda crystals do the same job, right??? Why are they so expensive? :confused:
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • otterspasm
    otterspasm Posts: 338
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi pawpurrs,
    I didn't know soda crystals do the same job as calgon. What would I do with them? Just put a spoonful in the WM tray? Or in the drum? Sorry. This doesn't answer your question. It's all news to me! :confused:
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    And i thought it was vinegar that did the same job!! might be wrong, but i'm sure i read somewhere on here that a couple of tablespoons of vinegar ( u can use it instead of fab.cond) helps keep all the pipes clear in the machine.just put it in the part of the drawer where the conditioner usually goes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure