Printer which takes cheapest ink?

My son is off to Uni in the next few days and I have just thought that he will need a printer for his PC. I have found that the cost of ink, over the years, is much more than the purchase price of the printer, so I was wondering which printer would be best to buy from the point of view of cheapest ink?

Comments

• Probably an Epson or a Canon. Cheap ink is easily available for both these brands. HP ink cartridges are more expensive because they include the print heads. I wouldn't consider any other make of printer.
  • check on www.cartex.co.uk for cheap compatible ink cartridges. I have used them for my Epson printer and have saved loads.
  • Canon are usually regarded as generally having the cheapest cartridges.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • I've been using a Canon Pixma iP4000 for a couple of years now, it's been superseded by newer models since but the range is still available.

Very happy with it, has separate tanks for each colour ink, plus 2 blacks, one for images and a larger capacity designed for quick text printing. Means you only need to change the one that's run out :)

Can usually get the original Canon tanks for around £6/7 each if you shop about and use cashback, they're quite a good size and last me ages :) Friend with a similar printer tried compatibles and found print quality was awful so might be best to stick to the originals.

Printhead is also removable so can be replaced although I think you have to order direct from Canon support - but quality hasn't deteriorated yet so haven't needed to try.

Epson on the other hand (unless they've changed recently) don't have removable print heads so once they're at life-end the printer is pretty much scrap.
  • Torby
    Torby Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    if his work involves mostly black and white (all text etc) he could do a lot worse that the HP 1018 laser on these forums a short time ago...£39.99 and that should do him between 1500 and 2000 A4 pages at normal coverage...so if he doesn't want to print out photos....its a good buy...alternatively....I also have an Epson...Jet Tec do cartridges for them...they're cheap...hold twice as much ink...and are readily available form SVP and the likes.
    I recently bought my daughter an Epson DX4000, as it will print, scan and copy all in one...a full set of carts (3 colour 1 black) cost about £12 from SVP, plus through Quidco you get cashback
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

• Hey... I'd really recommend a HP all-in-one. They are super compact and fold up all tight. The computer free copying can be a real life saver especially if you're nabbing copies of notes from a friend!

Then as fair as the ink itself goes there is a system called the peach system. This separates the print-head from the ink container. The print-head can be reused through many many ink containers.

My HP all-in-one takes black cartridge 21, the original 21 contains 5ML of ink. With the peach system, the alternative 21 contains 19ml.

For number 21 the first pack is £21.99 from cartridge people... with that you get one printhead and 3 of the inks (19mls each... giving you 57mls of ink for £22) Then after you've got the print head, it's only £10.99 delievered for the three inks (again 57mls of ink).
    Works similar for the colour ink too.

The inks last for ages and the print quality is brilliant =)
    The size of the printer itself is a real advantage especially for small student rooms and the HP printers are usually very good value!
    ~Diminutive
  • You can purchase so called recycled cartidriges mine cost 2 pounds each, never had a problem with them
    let me find yu the link
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • NickiM
    NickiM Posts: 712 Forumite
    Hmm, my Lexmark cartridges seem to be really expensive *glad that she found them half price in the Post Office*
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    i have a HP all in one, but cant afford the ink for it, so got an epson off freecycle- can get cartriges for it REALLY cheaply off ebay - like £2 for both colour and black :T
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    i had an epson stylus printer all through uni, and got the cartridges from www.inkcycle.co.uk which were about £3 each.

I remember people with Lexmark printers that always seemed to pay the most for their printers.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure