Egg Money migration...or not....

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have just done the switch to the First Direct one. It's a bit hidden on their web site so if you are looking for it is called "Internet Banking Plus" and can be found under their "Links to other services".

After a few minutes of use I am quite impressed. It works a bit better than the Egg Money Manager and even lets you include non-financial stuff like Nectar points and Air Miles.

I am a FD customer but I don't think you need to be to use it.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Do First Direct still offer the account aggregation service ? Had a look on their site and can see no mention of it any longer.

EDIT: Ah , thanks Reaper just seen your post.
  • I can see my external accounts in it. Very slow, but like you're saying, everyone's having a look. Crashed a couple of times, and I have a transfer I want to do. Think I'll wait...

Couple of things I'm not too impressed about. Can't find the sort code, why on earth not? I'd like to update details elsewhere. Also, before the switch, customer services told me that cheques would now have to be payable to YBS. That's a real pain, as whenever I've received the odd cheque before, I'd just posted it straight over without having to get my current account involved. And that's another thing, don't think it's freepost any more.

So First Direct apparently works in the same way then? I liked being able to withdraw to who/wherever I wanted. I was just looking at Principality but wording implies you're only allowed to withdraw to one account. Are most savings accounts the same as the latter?
  • Another thing that's a bit irksome: noticed that amount I'm able to withdraw is £1 less than what's in there. So they make you keep in a minimum of £1. Doesn't really affect anything, but I like having the choice to clean my account out if I need or want to...
  • Reaper wrote: »
    I have just done the switch to the First Direct one. I am a FD customer but I don't think you need to be to use it.

You do need a PC and Windows though. Gah. Their other savings accounts want you to be a customer already, so quite surprised if this particular one doesn't require it.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,626
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Can't find the sort code, why on earth not? I'd like to update details elsewhere. Also, before the switch, customer services told me that cheques would now have to be payable to YBS.

I dug out the FAQ sent in July:

Do I ned to change my bank details for my existing standing order and electronic payments including Direct Debits?
    No. Any existing payment arrangements details using sort code 40-61-99 and your old Egg account number will continue...

How do I set up a future deposit by standing order or electronic payment including Direct Debits?
    ...after 24th September 2012. Please use the following details:
    Sort Code: 60-92-04 (operated through NatWest), Account Number: the first 8 digits of your new account number, Reference: the full 10 digits of your new account number

Can I continue to make deposits using paying in books and pre-paid envelopes?
    You can carry on using your existing paying in slips and envelopes.

How can I make deposits using cheques?
    Payments made by cheque should be made payable to "Yorkshire Building Society (your name and your new account number)". It then gives a different address to the Camberley one.

I still have a supply of postage paid envelopes (newer ones required a stamp)- quite useful for clearing the odd cheque or two.

The last two statements contradict themselves a bit - I'd still bet cheques can go via the green envelopes without the payee being YBS, but could be wrong.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I enquired at YBS about the migration of EMM and got the following answer
    The Money Manager Service is currently unavailable due to a technical problem; we expect this to be up and running from tomorrow morning. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

When the Money Manager is running, you will see it below your account list when logged in. Once you have downloaded a component from us, you will see all the accounts you had set up on your egg money manager, without needing to re-enter the login information.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    So First Direct apparently works in the same way then? I liked being able to withdraw to who/wherever I wanted. I was just looking at Principality but wording implies you're only allowed to withdraw to one account. Are most savings accounts the same as the latter?
    Not quite sure what you mean by this. The tool to see all your accounts in one place (what was the Egg Money Manager) is not a savings account itself. It just lists all your accounts and their balances across all the various companies you use.

Whether or not you can withdraw directly from a savings account to an external account depends on the rules for the particular accounts you are using.
  • Hi

Yorkshire Building Society has asked to give a reply. MSE doesn't endorse anything an organisation says on the Forum.

We are experiencing high levels of activity in the account management area of our site. As a result you may experience some delays when logging in to your account. I'm extremely sorry for any inconvenience and disruption this causes. We are currently trying to resolve these issues. Thanks for your patience.

Nick

Nick Gander
    E-commerce Channel Manager
    Yorkshire Building Society
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2012 at 1:59PM
    Ah, thanks for the info. They should have all the new details easily accessible online though, for those of us who don't have that bit of paper, or indeed just in general. Sloppiness that'll be ironed out later, I guess.

Edit: this was meant as response to Miller for the FAQs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure