MSE News: Families must prepare for tax credits cut

Comments

• krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    I wish I had the second posters problem. We are a family of 4 on a COMBINED income of £5058 per year. Oldest daughter at college full time with a 4 hour a week job which pays £24 a week of which the bus fairs to and from college every week is £29, youngest daughter at school, husband seeking work. I have asked my employer to up my hours but its a charity so they cant. We have both been looking for work with more hours but have not been successful. I started making crafts with the view of starting a small business selling crafts but when I phoned WTC for some advice they said it was not a viable business. So we are now set to lose the £74 a week WTC which made it worth my while to work. I'm thinking maybe I should give up my job, sign on the dole and then be £10 a week better off than I would when working. Wheres the incentive to work in that? Before you all get on your high horses, I'm not actually going to give up my job but you can see my point.

Does that include child benefit and child tax credits? If it does then something is very wrong.

Have you claimed LHA/HB and council tax benefit? You must be entitled to them.
  • Could someone help, the article states:

Maximum income
    To qualify for working tax credits, you must also earn below the income caps, which will be broadly similar from 6 April.
    They are as follows:
    Working tax credit eligibility Maximum household income
    __________2011/12 2012/131
    No of kids
    ___2______ £58,200 £58,900

But on the letter from HMRC it states the income limit for WTC for joint households is £18000?

I've just contacted contacted the Tax Credits hotline and they advised that the article is false? :(

They have stopped our CTC as income over £32000, mainly due to their silly valuations on company car elements... I was just looking to see if we were eligible for anything as we really haven't budgeted for this change. :eek:
  • xAlisonx
    xAlisonx Posts: 30 Forumite
    I found the following website really helpful. It works out what CTC you should get in 2012/2013 and compares this against what you would have got before the changes. According to my figures I think ours is going down by approx £13 a year and I'm thinking myself lucky compared to what others will be losing. I can't believe this government is just going to force more and more children into poverty, it's a disgrace.

http://www.worksmart.org.uk/cutscalculator/calc-ws.php
  • xAlisonx
    I wish I had the second posters problem. We are a family of 4 on a COMBINED income of £5058 per year. Oldest daughter at college full time with a 4 hour a week job which pays £24 a week of which the bus fairs to and from college every week is £29, youngest daughter at school, husband seeking work. I have asked my employer to up my hours but its a charity so they cant. We have both been looking for work with more hours but have not been successful. I started making crafts with the view of starting a small business selling crafts but when I phoned WTC for some advice they said it was not a viable business. So we are now set to lose the £74 a week WTC which made it worth my while to work. I'm thinking maybe I should give up my job, sign on the dole and then be £10 a week better off than I would when working. Wheres the incentive to work in that? Before you all get on your high horses, I'm not actually going to give up my job but you can see my point.

I really feel for you and hope you manage to find a job with more hours or your hubby finds employment.
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We are a family of 4 on a COMBINED income of £5058 per year.

Have you left a nought out somewhere?? 5k a year is only 97 quid a week!!!
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The obvious message here,reading through this thread and many others on the forum,is that the whole TC system is a huge complicated mess that the ordinary public just doesn't understand(see the numerous " what will I be able to claim in April" help requests)

Just wait for the wave of threads asking for advice on overpayment letters that will come flooding in from HMRC post renewals even though claimants are reporting changes honestly and on time.
    :j
  • xAlisonx
    Marisco wrote: »
    We are a family of 4 on a COMBINED income of £5058 per year.

Have you left a nought out somewhere?? 5k a year is only 97 quid a week!!!

As it's the mum working and she's looking for more hours, I'm presuming she's probably working 16 hours a week right now? I only do 16 hours minimum wage unfortunately as it's the only job I can get right now and I'm on even less than that but luckily my hubby has a reasonable job.
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could someone tell me what the changes were last april as I was under the impression that they had done away with the 30 hour element and that was why my weekly amount dropped by £50. All the hype at the time said that the average family would lose about £500 over the year, ours dropped by over £2600! Our circs didn't change at all.

I'm really confused by a letter this morning, I updated to say I am no longer at work, when I run it through the entitled to website it says we should be getting £20 pw extra in wtc/ctc but hmrc have decided we are entitled to less than we were receiving when I was working 20 hrs pw?
  • clayts
    clayts Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Post
    jazabelle wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me if Working Tax Credits are changing for those with disabilities? We currently have to work 16 hours or more - is this staying the same please? I'm worried.

It's unchanged as far as I am aware
  • Si1
    Si1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If my partner does paid child care for some of her friends, all above board and declared etc, do those hours count towards our required 24 hours combined work hours to be able to claim working tax credits with a family?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure