How do i cook gammon so its ham?

2»

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I love the boiled ham, cola'd or otherwise, but I also love baked ham....its a big Christmas tradition in our house to have baked ham over the festive period, but boiled hams at all other times of year. :)

I often wonder if coke ham is so popular here because Nigella made it fashionable and easy to make hams at home,rather than just for its wonderfulness itself!
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry to gatecrash thread but how long do you put it in the slow cooker for? And also, would you do this on a low heat? I'm thinking of doing this as part of my Christmas dinner.

Many thanks
    i'd bve interested to know how long in the slow cooker too
    About 5ish hours on high, or if you really wanted to do it on low it will take longer.

If you want any more advice, the Old Stylers have a really big thread devoted to it! I'm sure you can use the leftover coke to make blackbean sauce or something, but I never have. I was going to, but my daddy threw it away :mad:
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Mme.Hibou wrote: »
    I know everyone is telling how wonderful their own recipe is, but you only have to Google 'Nigella's Ham in Cola' and there are plenty of people singing its praises.

I've made it about a dozen times and it's loved by everyone.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-2473

Ingredients

• 2kg mild-cure gammon
    • 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
    • 2-litre bottle of Coca-Cola
    FOR THE GLAZE
    • handful of cloves
    • 1 heaped tablespoon black treacle
    • 2 teaspoons English mustard powder
    • 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
    Method

1. I find now that mild-cure gammon doesn't need soaking, but if you know that you're dealing with a salty piece, then put it in a pan covered with cold water, bring to the boil, then tip into a colander in the sink and start from here; otherwise, put the gammon in a pan, skin-side down if it fits like that, add the onion, then pour over the Coke.
    2. Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for just under 2 and a half hours. If your joint is larger or smaller, work out timing by reckoning on an hour per kilo, remembering that it's going to get a quick blast in the oven later. But do take into account that if the gammon's been in the fridge right up to the moment you cook it, you will have to give it a good 15 minutes or so extra so that the interior is properly cooked.
    3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 240ºC/gas mark 9. When the ham's had its time (and ham it is, now it's cooked, though it's true Americans call it ham from its uncooked state) take it out of the pan (but do NOT throw away the cooking liquid) and let cool a little for ease of handling. (Indeed, you can let it cool completely then finish off the cooking at some later stage if you want). Then remove the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat.
    4. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove.
    5. Then carefully spread the treacle over the bark-budded skin, taking care not to dislodge the cloves.
    6. Gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat. Cook in a foil-lined roasting tin for approximately 10 minutes or until the glaze is burnished and bubbly. Should you want to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 180ºC/gas mark 4, turning up the heat towards the end if you think it needs it.
    Serves: 8

I too have done it this way for Christmas for the last few years but a couple of months ago I tried cooking it in Iru Bru instead of the Coke and I think it may even be nicer ( if that's possible )
    AJ
  • NickyBat
    NickyBat Posts: 857 Forumite
    All i do is cover it in honey and wrap in tin foil and cook for about 2 hours (depending on size) , take it out a couple of times and baste in honey.....fab
  • i'd bve interested to know how long in the slow cooker too

I put it on in the morning straight from the fridge and it's well done by 6pm dinner, on low. Don't bother soaking or any of that stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure