PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

buying a house with a loft conversion without building regs can i get insured?

We are purchasing a house with a loft conversion that hasn't been done to building regs, the current owner has it as a bedroom and we would too. we have to get buildings insurance when we get a mortgage will they insure it?

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Presumably the current owner has got insurance..? Can you ask them who they're insured with? And I also assume you're paying less for the unofficial bedroom :)
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Is it actually safe to use as a bedroom. Regardless of building regs, is it easy to get out of when your house is on fire?

Whether you care about the rules or not, you'd probably care about being trapped up there.
  • We have two attic rooms which the previous owners did about 15+ years ago, it doesnt comply with building regs and never has and we use one room as a study and one for storage. each room has a velux window that in todays standard ares big enough for a fireman to get through hence why the rooms can't be marketed as Habitable. When it was on the market, they were marketed as 'storage'. We have never had a problem insuring the house over the past 8+ years, you shouldn't have a problem. good luck
  • Thanks for the info.

The room is easy to get out of via the stairs onto the landing. Also the velux window is big enough to climb out of.

Not sure what is classed as a safe bedroom?, the current owners have a double bed in there and are storing lots of stuff in there. They say the building regs would mean the velux window would have to be moved elswhere to comply (eg further down almost on the actual front of the property, top of the front wall where all the other windows are) but i suppose we cant really trust what they are saying as they just want to sell the house.

The house is marketed as a two bedroom with loft conversion so the price coincides with a two bedroomed property.

Would i have to tell the buildings insurance about the loft conversion or is it a standard question they will ask.

All i am bothered about is further down the line if we do need to claim for anything and they say well you have a loft conversion not to regs, so its all void.
  • We have never been asked, as it wasn't sold to us as a 6 bed property it was sold as a 4 bed with 2 attic storage rooms (and thats how we have sold it) To be honest I wouldnt worry, we have only ever been asked how many bedrooms it was and we have always said 4, and I suspect you'll say 2.

The house we are about to move to has the master bed and ensuite in the converted loft and it does comply with all building regs needed, we still havent been asked by the insurance company if it complies with regs even though I said its a 4 bed house with master in attic conversion.
  • Great that makes me feel a lot better, like you said if we sell its still a two bed house at the end of the day.

Thanks for all your help on this subject.
  • Tis ok, glad to be of service!
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have just bought a 2 bed with loft conversion, the survey said the staircase wasn't to regs - we just said it was 2 bed for insurance purposes. I will be getting the window changed before using it as a bedroom.
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Hippychick
    Hippychick Posts: 738 Forumite
    We have a property with a loft conversio too, I insured with the same company as my mortgage lender and mentioned the loft conversion at the point of quotation. They were fine with it.

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    carlycav wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

The room is easy to get out of via the stairs onto the landing. Also the velux window is big enough to climb out of.

Not sure what is classed as a safe bedroom?, the current owners have a double bed in there and are storing lots of stuff in there. They say the building regs would mean the velux window would have to be moved elswhere to comply (eg further down almost on the actual front of the property, top of the front wall where all the other windows are) but i suppose we cant really trust what they are saying as they just want to sell the house.

The house is marketed as a two bedroom with loft conversion so the price coincides with a two bedroomed property.

Would i have to tell the buildings insurance about the loft conversion or is it a standard question they will ask.

All i am bothered about is further down the line if we do need to claim for anything and they say well you have a loft conversion not to regs, so its all void.

There is a lot more to building regs than simply the presence of a Velux! Do you have a fire door at the top or bottom of the stairs onto the landing? Are the Velux windows in the correct position (not simply size) for access by the fire services 'cherry picker'? Have the ceiling joists been properly reinforced to allow furniture to be safely placed in the room? Were the roof trusses properly reinforced to ensure the roof doesn't start sagging at a later date?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport