Changing Euro coins to notes

Hello all,

I live in Northern Ireland and have amassed a large amount of change in Euros (coppers, 10-50 cents etc) over the last few years. I'm going to France this weekend so I'm intending to use some of it up, but I was wondering if there was anywhere I could get my Euro coins exchanged for Euro notes, if possible, as I do have quite a few heavy bags of coins. I'm not sure a foreign exchange would be appropriate as I'm not actually looking to convert the currency. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ask nicely in any shops or supermarkets you use: they might be grateful for a supply of change. Or just visit a bank.
  • I wasn't sure if any supermarkets here would have a significant number of Euro notes available; I know Tesco's will accept payment in Euro notes but will give change in sterling or something along those lines. Banks of course would have them but not sure if they would help as technically it's not an exchange so no commission? It's no big deal to bring the change with me of course but notes would be much handier! Thanks for your reply.
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    banks in the UK won't be very helpful

Are you close enough to pop over the border and spend them?
  • Unfortunately I'm not close to the border at all. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those Coinstar machines here? I'm not even sure if they'll take Euro change though, probably just sterling.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Banks in the UK have no interest in euro coins

I've seen machines that will convert euro coins to sterling - the last time I recall being on a cross channel ferry a few years back. Coinstar (unless they are different in NI) won't be any use

I think the supermarket suggestion was once in France.
  • Ah of course - forgive me, I'm obviously half asleep! Bringing the change with me probably the best thing to do then, thanks again for your replies everyone.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I took over £60 euros in change on holiday this year and got rid of it within a couple of days. People appreciated the change to be honest and it was suprisingly light compared to sterling coins.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • I echo what others have said, just take them with you. Coins seem to be in short supply on the Continent. Tipping can often be a nightmare , most times we end up leaving too little or too much, through lack of coins.
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    dzug1 wrote: »
    Banks in the UK have no interest in euro coins

I've seen machines that will convert euro coins to sterling - the last time I recall being on a cross channel ferry a few years back. Coinstar (unless they are different in NI) won't be any use

I think the supermarket suggestion was once in France.

I've seen them on the ferries, but I have found sometimes you can change coins on the ferry, but that doesn't really help much. I've got a few coins, but put them to one side for France/Ireland, as I always find having coins handy.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business