PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Overspent this week but - a lot of money was on Branston Baked Beans - Asd - 4 for £1. There are 49 tins sitting in the garage.
    We had HM Shepherd's Pie + Carrots/Onion + LO Baked Beans for dinner.
    I made some muffins while I had the oven on. This week I bought a bag of the odd shape carrots - 1.5kg Sainsbugs - 95p
    First time using this recipe - very different to my usual Muffin recipe. In the interests of readers - I tested a Muffin - delicious.
    I had to substitute some of the ingredients but the result was great - Mr F loved his half of a Muffin.
    I will share recipe if anyone wants it. Cost to make 12 Muffins - approx £1. They are a filling Muffin - I suppose because of the added fibre ingredients.

Saturdaysdinner_zps41bd581d.jpg
    CarrotCakeMuffins_zps51ce8283.jpg
    CarrotCakeMuffin2_zpsddf1c09d.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/253
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £45.77/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • Hi,
    This challenge seems interesting. I'm a newbie here. Can I join in the challenge for Aug-2013 please? My budget is £130 for two adults (just my guess). Have some store cupboard stocks. Lets see how it plays out.

Thanks!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £13.50 to add for a cheeky takeaway on Friday night as DH hadn't eaten all day. We haven't had one for a while and really enjoyed it. Also £3.98 on 6 pairs of rubber gloves as DH was cleaning the oven.

It's my birthday next week so DFIL is talking DS to the local show and DH is talking me to the pictures and for GF pizza ( different budget). However it has been chucking it down all night and all morning so I am not sure if the show will still be on. If not there goes my birthday treat:(

Meal plan and shop is done for next week except 2 pork chops and some of the value nappies DS uses at night. I have been having a look through my recipe books and may make another chicken recipe instead of the pork cops as it will put off a spend on meat until next weeks shop.

I made an olive and herb loaf in the bread maker (GF) yesterday morning using up some bread mix I have had since last year, an open jar of olives and herbs from my stash. It was lovely but has a very soft crust so is difficult to slice and I want to slice and freeze in portions. I may have to invest in an electric knife.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    citygirl40 wrote: »
    My five week month starts today and I'm going to be relying on my full cupboards and freezer.

Went to As*a today for first shop of week. Bought potatoes (my goodness the price of potatoes has rocketed, so pleased I've some growing in the garden now), carrots, a dozen eggs as this week I'm making quiche, pancakes and a cake. Got 2 loaves of bread reduced for son, a load of cheese and 3 lots of quorn products that I had £4 in vouchers towards so total spend of £9.96 and that included a pack of Famous names chocs, reduced to £2 and I had a £1 voucher. BB Jan 2014, have put in Xmas box under spare bed.:)

Hoping to only buy milk now this week, its just my OH that needs reining in now this week!!!

7.5kg are £5 (i think) in FF ... until yours are ready
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Well, I am back to have another go at controlling my grocery spend. It is amazing how quickly money disappears when you take a close eye of it.

This month is a five week one for me so it is going to be a little tight as my rent comes out twice :mad:so will really need to cut back to cover costs also we have a holiday booked for Sept :j so will need to save for that.

This month I am going for £150 (2 people) and I am planning to shop as and when I need to but only to have a set amount in my purse per week. I have plenty in fridge, freezer and store cupboards - just checked and TBH I have forgotten I had so much stuff.

So here goes..........
    Grocery Challenge: £42.13 /£100 September 2013
    Current Debt: £32,000 (31.08.13) :eek: Final LBM (31.08.13)
    Out of debt, out of danger - Joan Jonker
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Yazhini26 wrote: »
    Hi,
    This challenge seems interesting. I'm a newbie here. Can I join in the challenge for Aug-2013 please? My budget is £130 for two adults (just my guess). Have some store cupboard stocks. Lets see how it plays out.

Thanks!

Welcome to MSE, Yazhini :) And also welcome to the GC! Good luck :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Day 5 of my NSP and give myself 5.00. so 25.00 in 2nd purse.

I am so so tempted to go and buy fresh fruit but knowing that I have to give a fiver back if I do is really curbing the temptation. I have loads of tinned and frozen fruit so dont need it.

I have a stockpile of tinned potatoes (20 tins) which I only use in stew normally, has anyone any recipes for using these please.
    Slimming World at target
  • medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    Please put me down for £200 for a 5 week month. I am trying to budget to do so many things so am trying to cut back on our food spending.

I did our first shop of the month today at A*da spending £30.28 with my list and that should be everything for the week including lunches and breakfasts. I actually wrote a meal plan!!!:T I also spent £2.68 on a few bits in B&*- they had jars of cherry peppers for 79p that I usually get in my local Sains for £2.89 that are great as a base for a pepper pesto in an emergency meal situation.

Meal plan for week:
    Pork belly with sweet onion scrumpy sauce and veg for tonight followed by Rhubarb Crumble with rhubarb from the garden.
    Monday: Lentil pasta sauce with spaghetti
    Tuesday: Mushroom risotto
    Wednesday: Potato and spinach curry and naan and HM onion bhaji
    Thursday: Crispy Pork Stirfry and noodles in a Black pepper sauce
    Friday: Omelette and chips and side salad.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Nicky_Noo_Na Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £240 for me for this month please, I usually budget £160 but its a 5 week month we will have at least 2 weeks without a kitchen this month (getting a new one at last!!) so will succumb to a couple of chippy teas/takeaways/ready meals I reckon. We only need £80 for sept due to hols so using the other £80 as an advance. The week or two before the kitchen gets done will try and make some homemade microwaveable ready meals for the freezer to keep costs down and to try and stay healthy as we can't be having takeaway every day!
  • ipie
    ipie Posts: 25 Forumite
    Just to update another £60 pounds spent in aldi today bring total spends to £119. I feel I may have been a tad ambitious when setting my budget they kids haven't stopped eating ! Going to try and stay away from doing a biggish shop till Friday hopefully. But will be nipping into asda to grab ten packs or so of those branston beans.
    Off to make sausage casserole for tea with roast potatoes and lots of veggies !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure