Free diabetes test

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/wps/portal/services/diabetes

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Official MoneySavingExpert.com:

Top spot! To find your nearest Lloyds that offers the free diabetes test use the Lloyds Pharmacy Store Locator

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
It's nice to be important.....but it's more important to be nice :)

Comments

• glitzy
    glitzy Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    have just had mine done whilst i was waiting for my prescription - i was spot on 4.8 not sure what that means, but i was ok
    ....YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY :wink: ....
  • Savethekipper
    Savethekipper Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    glitzy wrote: »
    have just had mine done whilst i was waiting for my prescription - i was spot on 4.8 not sure what that means, but i was ok

It means absolutely nothing if it was completed by pricking a finger. I am diabetic and can get this result dependent on what I have eaten. These tests worry me as a proper diabetic test completed at GP involves fasting for 12 hours to get a meaningful test result.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It means absolutely nothing if it was completed by pricking a finger. I am diabetic and can get this result dependent on what I have eaten. These tests worry me as a proper diabetic test completed at GP involves fasting for 12 hours to get a meaningful test result.
    It certainly means something if your blood glucose figure comes out at much over 10 mmol/l! All they are aiming to do is to see whether there is a strong possibility of the person having diabetes. 4.8 mmol/l means it's pretty unlikely; towards 10 (say) go to the doctor next time you can; towards 20, go to the doctor NOW; towards 30, get an ambulance.
  • Pip26
    Pip26 Posts: 2,368 Forumite
    Great tip - thanks!
  • John_Gray wrote: »
    It certainly means something if your blood glucose figure comes out at much over 10 mmol/l! All they are aiming to do is to see whether there is a strong possibility of the person having diabetes. 4.8 mmol/l means it's pretty unlikely; towards 10 (say) go to the doctor next time you can; towards 20, go to the doctor NOW; towards 30, get an ambulance.

I understand what you are saying but if someone is concerned they may have diabetes I would recommend going directly to your GP for a proper test. These "finger pricking" tests could be misleading eitherway.
  • lucindara
    lucindara Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 September 2009 at 8:27AM
    How can we prevent diabetes type 2? What would be the best diet to prevent? I currently am writing an article about diabetes. I have been searching and reading many evidence-based articles. However, I'd like to hear your own opinion on diabetes type 2.
  • I am a type II diabetic. So far I would say (for me) that a GI type of diet - South Beach et al is what has reduced my blood sugar. I have also lost over two stone, but, that has included exercise & plenty of it!

lucindara wrote: »
    How can we prevent diabetes type 2? What would be the best diet to prevent? I currently am writing an article about diabetes. I have been searching and reading many evidence-based articles. However, I'd like to hear your own opinion on diabetes type 2.
    I am a type II diabetic. So far I would say (for me) that a GI type of diet - South Beach et al is what has reduced my blood sugar. I have also lost over two stone, but, that has included exercise & plenty of it!

The fact that you have lost weight and been exercising will have naturally reduced your sugar level. My diabetic nurse did tell me that by loosing x% of your body weight leads to an x% drop in you blood sugar levels. I can't remember the figures.............I also can't stick to my diet and exercise regime!!:eek:
  • The fact that you have lost weight and been exercising will have naturally reduced your sugar level. My diabetic nurse did tell me that by loosing x% of your body weight leads to an x% drop in you blood sugar levels. I can't remember the figures.............I also can't stick to my diet and exercise regime!!:eek:
    My consultant told me loosing some weight would help me dispite being the ideal weight for my height and with a normal healthy BMI! :eek: I'm with you though, I can't stick to my diet or drag myself to the gym!!
    £2009 wins - Vodkat Cocktail kit :j

Quidco: £401.37 (£15 admin fees deducted) / Piggy Points: 3000 + £100 boots vouchers / Ipoints18,398
  • i got mine it was 4.9 thoe b4 i did it i had diluted fruit contrate oops :| still guess 4 now im normal enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure