Old Halifax Shares - pre demutualisation - gone for ever?

When the halifax was demutualised in 97 (I think), I got some windfall shares. For a while I got a dividend which then stopped. I believe Halifax was taken over and the shares became HBOS ones - I believe there was a further takeover by Lloyds!

I have no paperwork for these shares as I have moved a few times (thats if I had any proper paperwork to begin with).

Are these shares still likely to exist? If so where and under what name and are they worth anything?

I read there was also possible a time limit on these - is this true?

Thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• Unless you've sold the shares, they will indeed still exist, as Lloyds Banking Group Ordinary shares (ISIN GB0008706128). The only time limit related to actually claiming the shares in 1997. Since you did, they'll be out there somewhere!

However, your holding will not only have decreased in number since 1997 (if you held the basic free distribution of 200 Halifax plc shares, they would have been restructured to 116 Lloyds shares), but more significantly in value. The share price for Lloyds is around 30p per share at the moment. Shares in banks have taken a battering generally in the last 4 years, and former building societies who chose to demutualise in the 1990s, have fared worst of all. Dividends won't have been paid on these shares since May 2008.

In terms of where the shares are held, Equiniti Ltd (0871 384 2990)
    are the Registrars for Lloyds Banking Group, so they're probably your best bet. If you opted to hold your shares in the company nominee account, they could be with Halifax Share Dealing Ltd (08457 22 55 25)
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I had £3000 in HBOS Shares which I sold just before they crashed I think they would be worth about £60 to £70 now .....
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport