How do you report drink driving, annonomously ?

Comments

• Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :( what a pr1ck !!! its fine if people are stupid enough to not care about endangering their own lives, but its usually others who end up worse off :(

definitely call your local police station,dialling 141 first ;)

state what you have said on here and leave it to them,if they ask for your name explain why you would rather not give it

then its in their hands,you have done your bit :)
  • changkra
    changkra Posts: 635
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rachie_B wrote:
    :( what a pr1ck !!! its fine if people are stupid enough to not care about endangering their own lives, but its usually others who end up worse off :(

definitely call your local police station,dialling 141 first ;)
    state what you have said on here and leave it to them,if they ask for your name explain why you would rather not give it

then its in their hands,you have done your bit :)

Pointless your number will still display. If you are going to report him you need the traffic cops, they are the ones that deal with drink driving.
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Al_Mac wrote:
    13 pints, do you know that for a fact? Do you know it was alcoholic lager? It isn't right to drink and drive, but it wouldn't be exactly fair to be stopped if you are innocent either.
    I disagree - it's fair to stop anyone if there is ANY suspicion of drink driving. A simple breathaliser test proves one way or the other if s/he is over the limit and if they're not then it's 5 minutes out of their day and no harm done.
  • Thank you everyone,
    "Dogs come when they are called. Cats take a message and get back to you" :j :j
  • Al_Mac wrote:
    13 pints, do you know that for a fact? Do you know it was alcoholic lager? It isn't right to drink and drive, but it wouldn't be exactly fair to be stopped if you are innocent either.

He had a bar tab and was drinking from 11.00am to 7.00pm, I can't see what is wrong with being stopped wether you are over the limit or not, I was stopped twice before Christmas as the Police were just doing routine checks, I just thought they were doing their job, not that it was unfair they picked on me.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I once reported my boss for drink dirivng. He had had 9 pints at the office Xmas party then drove from Wimbledon to Surbiton (about 10 miles ish). I popped into the police station on my way home & declined to give me name which they were fine with but they did act on it, just not fast enough. Apparently the police caught up with him AT HOME clearly drunk less than 15 mins after I phoned it in but as they actually hadn't caught him in the car they couldn't do anything although they also knew he must have broken the speed limits too, to get there in that time. They rang his door bell & told him they had had a report of him driving over the limit & said they couldn't charge him now but still wanted to see if he got home safely. He never knew it was me who reported him although he must have suspected me, I swear he is the reason there are so many speed cameras on that stretch of the A3 now!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,916
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's right to report him, but I think you may find that the police won't act upon any information anyway.

They usually say that "it doesn't take priority".

Lin :confused:
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I don't agree with Morglin here. It all depends on what is happening on the night of course, but most forces have dedicated traffic cops who follow up this kind of thing. If there was a major accident which they were dealing with then maybe not, otherwise I think they would follow up.

I hope you feel brave enough to follow through. My father was an alcoholic who regularly drank and drove until a neighbour tipped off the police. We never found out who did it, but he was stopped, taken to court and banned, and in fact it was a wake up call to him, and he has never done it since. I am very glad that the neighbour took the step they did, and deep down I suspect my dad is too.
  • My advice is if your are determined to remain anonymous then this is not a problem whatsoever. You can ring crimestoppers and then the information will be graded and officers will be made aware and briefed about the vehicle and driver etc etc. The traffic police will probably dedicate an officer to pick this vehicle up when it leaves. I dont know who your local force is but you can PM me if you want with your local force etc and I'll see what I can do.
    Also ring the general police number and ask to putin an anonymous intellegence log about a drink driver. The police are always grateful for this information. WHen he is stopped and is over the limit then he will be charged at the station etc. The evidence is already there so it dosnt matter that you are anonymous whatsoever. Go for it, imagine if you dont and something happens. PM me if you want anything further.
  • Dazzieboo
    Dazzieboo Posts: 498 Forumite
    I have now got through to Crimestoppers and given them the relevant information. I feel a lot better doing it this way, before the event happens, I have been told the area would be policed and monitored during the day so if he does drink and drive, at some point he would be stopped. Not only was I reassured it would be anonymous, I but I was also assured I was doing the right thing. Thanks again for the posters on here, who gave me the back up of knowing I was doing the right thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure