What just exploded?!?

About 10 mins ago, I heard a very loud popping noise, it sounded like it came from inside the house. I have been through every room and can't see anything that looks like it's just exploded, there was only one light on and it's still on so it wasn't that bulb (plus it was louder than that), all the sockets that were turned on look normal and none of them feel hot, and nothing in the bathroom (eg deodorant cans) looks exploded.

Anyone got any ideas what could cause a noise like that? Is there anything else electrical I should be checking to make sure it's safe in case it was something electrical exploding?

Comments

• Jaynne
    Jaynne Posts: 552 Forumite
    It could be an electrical transformer like a charger. If there's no smoke and no circuit has tripped then its probably dead and you'll discover it when you next try to use that appliance.
  • Humphrey10
    Humphrey10 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    I'll check any chargers that were turned on at the time, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think of that.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Might just be the heat causing the house to expand in various places - this can cause some very loud bangs as the joints rub against each other. Our house is really bad for this and unfortunately seems to be worse at night as it cools down.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    As the above poster said, it's likely to be an expanding/contracting noise. Tins are very good for this.
    Pants
  • annie1975_2
    annie1975_2 Posts: 626 Forumite
    Not got any cans of pop in the freezer have you.
    I put one in a few week ago to get cold quick and forgot about it.
    Then BANG,it exploded. Ha ha.
  • I heard a loud bang a few bays back, couldn't find anything after a search of the house. Found it next morning, the (suction pad) soap dish had fallen off the shower wall :rotfl:
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Wood contracting as the evening cools off :)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Humphrey10 wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas what could cause a noise like that?
    Did someone parp?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Might just be the heat causing the house to expand in various places - this can cause some very loud bangs as the joints rub against each other. Our house is really bad for this and unfortunately seems to be worse at night as it cools down.

I am glad you said that - it sounds like someone is upstairs on my 3rd floor of townhouse tonight and I have just checked and they are not - its making really loud noises tonight!! its sooooo hot upstairs on top floor tonight too.
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016
  • I heard a loud bang a few bays back, couldn't find anything after a search of the house. Found it next morning, the (suction pad) soap dish had fallen off the shower wall :rotfl:

Any tremble in the building can cause a fall.I'm glad that you found it.Otherwise some people would think there is a supernatural phenomenon in your house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure