Buy and Import a Motorhome from America

I'm a newbie to this forum....I am selling my home via auction later this month and if it sells plan to move into a large American Motor Home (or RV as the yanks call them). Prices in England are high for anything large and decent. I have been looking on eBay and have considered buying from America (in or outside of an eBay auction) and then shipping to UK. I am looking for peoples opinions on this idea and how much I would be paying in all taxes once it lands and is registered in the UK (I am looking to spend upto £30K). Whats the biggest Motorhome I can legally drive for someone who passed his test pre-1997...I believe it's 7.5 ton but would like this confirming. ;)

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello 1957scooby

Welcome to the MSE site.:wave:

I'll move your thread to the 'Motoring & Public Transport' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • gazhawkins
    gazhawkins Posts: 236 Forumite
    Buying in the USA and exporting it sounds like your best bet. You can drive a 7.5 tonne lorry on a standard car licence, as far as I know.

Few things worth considering: the vehicle may be subject to duty on import to UK, (check), some US states DON'T have sales taxes (eg Nevada and Montana), pre-1973 cars are not subject to duty (may apply to motorhomes).

Lastly, think about buying in the Winter as prices could be lower - a bit like buying convertables in the UK.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You will also need to consider the size - I am sure I read somewhere that some American vehicles are not legally allowed on UK roads as they are too wide.

Anon
  • Hermione54
    Hermione54 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Anon is correct. The legal limit for width is 100 inches (or whatever that is in metric) and some American RV's are more than this. One owner lost all his money and his house fighting a dealership who sold him one and lost because apparently is it legal to sell an over-width RV, but not to drive one on the public roads!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,989 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you intend taking it abroad check the requirements for that country.
    Will you register it in the UK? If not be VERY careful. Here in France people have had to put in extra vents, fire escape windows and take out the automatic gas bottle changeover systems on imported motorhomes.
    Anyway, ENJOY your time with it!
  • There are companies out there that will customise vehicles to your requirements

Why not look at buying a large road legal UK van/lorry and having it customised into a motorhome which meets your requirements?
  • 1957scooby wrote: »
    I'm a newbie to this forum....I am selling my home via auction later this month and if it sells plan to move into a large American Motor Home (or RV as the yanks call them). Prices in England are high for anything large and decent. I have been looking on eBay and have considered buying from America (in or outside of an eBay auction) and then shipping to UK. I am looking for peoples opinions on this idea and how much I would be paying in all taxes once it lands and is registered in the UK (I am looking to spend upto £30K). Whats the biggest Motorhome I can legally drive for someone who passed his test pre-1997...I believe it's 7.5 ton but would like this confirming. ;)

Factor in transport to the port and shipping, shipping anything bigger than a car is expensive.

You'll need to pay VAT and duty, and customs clearing port charges which can add up.

Next you'll need to get it SVA'd.

Remember that in America lots of RVs and even large trucks have petrol engines which make them hopelessly expensive to run, ensure you only get a diesel, and make sure it's a cummins caterpiller isuzu as otherwise service parts could be an issue.

Also consider that your new giant box like vehicle will be LHD, so it might not be all that fun to drive.

To be honest it will be easier and cheaper to find one that's already been imported.
  • coupleuk
    coupleuk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know this topic is old, but it contains a LOT of incorrect info.

For the facts, you could visit the RV Owners Association at www.rvoa.co.uk

Paul
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family