how far back can you claim rebate on single person's council tax allowance?

4 years after buying my first property I realised I was eligible for a single occupancy discount on my council tax. I had never paid council tax before. I called them and the nice people at the council said no problem and gave me a rebate in full from the point I moved in (around 4 years rebate). For some reason a year later they removed this discount although my status hadn't changed. I've been paying the full amount since (for 4 years). This time they said they'd only give me a rebate for last year's discount not all 4 years. This seems like charging me extra by inertia - changing my status without advising me, charging me extra and hoping I wouldn't notice (which I didn't). This wouldn't be allowed under FSA rules (I believe). Does anyone know where I stand? They say I should have checked the paperwork and realised they'd taken off the discount. Can you advise? Thanks

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The onus appears to be on the claimant to ensure he/she is receiving the discount. I believe CT legislation is so worded that councils are not obliged to backdate single person discount, but many will backdate it for one year. I am surprised you didn't notice your CT bill had increased by about 35% in one year.

FSA have no authority over councils.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    At least for my council, you have to make a formal (signed) declaration on a regular basis that you are entitled to a single occupancy discount. The default position is to pay full council tax; they haven't charged you 'extra' by inertia they have charged you the standard amount. This is much the same as paying tax on savings accounts - the default position is to assume you are a taxpayer and you need to make a formal declaration if you are not.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • I foolishly have not been claiming my 25% discount for just over a year. I have never had a declaration letter to say I was the only adult in the property. I contacted my council and they have written back informing me they will only backdate refund to the beginning of the financial year. As I contacted them a few days after April 1st 2012 the refund will be a few pounds rather than the £400 or so it should be. Can 'only being able to claim for the previous year' really just mean the current financial year or is it worth challenging?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure