The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

ios7, any good?

Just wondered if anyone had installed ios7 on their ipad, and what they thought of it. Different layout, not so sure I would like it.

Comments

• SidP
    SidP Posts: 65 Forumite
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ios-7-thoroughly-reviewed/

Try that for size. Also:

http://lifehacker.com/ios-7s-biggest-annoyances-and-how-to-fix-them-1334420963

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3469641&olo=rss

MacWorld has a whole bunch of articles on other topics. Reading those is better than getting some random's opinion—IMO. :)
  • Yep, on my gen.3 iPad. It seems to hammer the battery. 7.1 needed to iron out the glitches.
  • Have it on my iPad3 and iPhone5

A few useful elements but really most were things that should have been there but were missing from the old versions (eg time each message was sent for iMessenger) and the control centre is useful

The phone is fine, iPad 3rd gen is a bit slow, can probably turn off some of the animations etc. Havent noticed any battery issues but dont use the iPad much these days.

New look generally is good but if you group apps it looks a bit messy
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I love it but the UI is drastically different.

You'd do well to try out a device with iOS on it in store before you go ahead, if you're not sure.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • matttye wrote: »
    I love it but the UI is drastically different.

You'd do well to try out a device with iOS on it in store before you go ahead, if you're not sure.
    Surely it's a simple matter to restore if you don't like it
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite

You can only downgrade to iOS 6 while Apple is still signing the software, which won't be for very long at all....once they stop, you can't downgrade.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • matttye wrote: »
    You can only downgrade to iOS 6 while Apple is still signing the software, which won't be for very long at all....once they stop, you can't downgrade.
    Can I then no longer restore from iTunes backups on my PC? Sounds like the walled garden is crumbling if that's the case
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite

It's full of bugs apparently and many users aren't happy they've downloaded it.

Apple don't allow you to downgrade however you can if you're quick see half way down this article... Here

The Apple Support Forum also doesn't allow you to give any advice on how to downgrade to iOS6 they remove your posts very quickly.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    A friend was excited to tell me he could now block numbers, much as he could in his old Nokia a decade ago. Seeing as apple use words like magical and revolutionary in their sales blurb, iOS7 seems to be at best rather underwhelming for most users.

Apparently you can make it look less of a dogs dinner by making it grey scale, not sure how true that is, but some people have said it is less offensive that way.

Maybe hold off before upversioning ('upgrading' seems to be overstating the case)
  • Installed it pretty much the minute it released and have not had one issue. I like the updated design, much cleaner and modern looking. Its quite a big step, certainly as big as any android made in the four years I used it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure