Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• I am not sure whether this is the appropriate board to post this, so please forgive me if it isn't.

I just got a call saying I had won a year's free electricity from Scottish Power, from a competition I apparently entered a while ago. I can't remember having entered this, but hey, who knows - I have entered a few competitions online before. They don't seem to want any details from me other than my current provider and price plan. I don't want to give them any details if it is a scam, but also don't want to pass up on free electricity if it is legit! I've asked the guy to call me back at 2pm tomorrow. Has anyone had any similar calls, or been lucky enough to have actually, legitimately won such a competition?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Druzylu wrote: »
    I am not sure whether this is the appropriate board to post this, so please forgive me if it isn't.

I just got a call saying I had won a year's free electricity from Scottish Power, from a competition I apparently entered a while ago. I can't remember having entered this, but hey, who knows - I have entered a few competitions online before. They don't seem to want any details from me other than my current provider and price plan. I don't want to give them any details if it is a scam, but also don't want to pass up on free electricity if it is legit! I've asked the guy to call me back at 2pm tomorrow. Has anyone had any similar calls, or been lucky enough to have actually, legitimately won such a competition?

Maybe worth sending a PM to the Scottish Power rep on here to see if they can confirm either way.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=773243
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Druzylu please e-mail details to [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] It sounds like a call from one of our sales teams. Will check about the competition. Thanks David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nothing to add, just want to get the user name above off the index to see if it stops the whole page being squashed up.
  • NeilSt
    NeilSt Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    a site called UKprize.co.uk ??? what's that all about??
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NeilSt wrote: »
    a site called UKprize.co.uk ??? what's that all about??

"Ukprize.co.uk collects demographic (information about you, such as name, age and address), lifestyle (information about your interests and purchasing habits) and answers to specific questions asked by ukprize.co.uk, its clients or sponsors. This data is used by ukprize.co.uk and carefully selected third parties to send you by, email, SMS, voice, post or other appropriate means, communications about their products or services."

"The data we collect using your browsing pattern may be sold (or otherwise passed on) to our clients and carefully selected third parties. "
  • NeilSt
    lilias wrote: »
    "Ukprize.co.uk collects demographic (information about you, such as name, age and address), lifestyle (information about your interests and purchasing habits) and answers to specific questions asked by ukprize.co.uk, its clients or sponsors. This data is used by ukprize.co.uk and carefully selected third parties to send you by, email, SMS, voice, post or other appropriate means, communications about their products or services."

"The data we collect using your browsing pattern may be sold (or otherwise passed on) to our clients and carefully selected third parties. "

so it's a marketing company or like myoffers.co.uk?

Hmmmm
  • NeilSt
    lilias wrote: »

i thought I might have been phished :(
  • Hi

Just had an email to say i had won a trip to spain for the facebook comp in Nov/Dec. If this is true, what does the holiday entail and what determines an actual scam?

Thank you!
  • createbeauty
    createbeauty Posts: 2,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    lou786 wrote: »
    Hi

Just had an email to say i had won a trip to spain for the facebook comp in Nov/Dec. If this is true, what does the holiday entail and what determines an actual scam?

Thank you!

We would need more details than that, lol.
    Maybe post the e-mail you received?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure