PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

cani afford to rent a flat

hey guys, im in the middle of looking for a flat to rent, i earn beteween £700 -£752 a month this will be my first place living on my own but im not sure if i will be able to afford it, i have seen a flat in my town to rent for £425 a month which leaves me about £300 a month to live on could someone tell me if i could pay all my bills gas electric water etc with £300 and shopping? any advice would be great.
2010 wins: docking station, Plantronics .audio 995 digital wireless stereo headset, 2x darkthrone albums, geisha assassin dvd. stokes gigs t-shirt, 21 bottles of jamesons whicky, knomo 4 laptop/handbags. 2x dvd, cook book.

Comments

• I don't think you really could, you'd have nothing left for anything like an emergency and you wouldn't have any money to do anything. I'm not even sure you could cover your bills with that amount. Have you looked at house shares? You get to move out and have your own space, but it's a lot cheaper and your bills are often included so it's easier to budget.
    Scar tissue that I wish you saw, sarcastic mister know it all, close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause with the birds I'll share this lonely view.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    It'll be a close run thing.

Where do you live at the moment?
    Have you considered house sharing?
  • It takes some keen budgeting skills to squeeze fares, food and bills out of £300 a month and I wouldn't recommend it to the inexperienced.

I don't wish to sound judgmental but aspiring to rent your own flat when you've never lived away from home on your own before could be seen as being a tad ambitious and unrealistic.

Flat/housesharing or lodging is the way to go, I think.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Council tax approximately £80/month (althoug 25% discount if living alone)
    Gas and Elec will be about £45 a month
    Water about £10 a month
    Food about £150 a month if you plan.

It's JUST about do-able, but you wouldn't be able to afford to have a life.

Why not look for a studio/bedsit, or a room in a shared house?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    You might be eligible for help with rent from LHA(HB). You can look up the applicable amount on https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/Default.aspx 1 bed if you're over 25, shared accommodation rate if you're under. You can then put this and your earnings into https://www.direct.go.uk to see whether you'd be eligible for any help.
  • rsykes2000
    rsykes2000 Posts: 2,494
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Firstly, good luck on striking out on your own. I can only really echo the thoughts above - flat/house shares will be cheaper than the example you quote above eg in the local smallads at my place of work there is an all-bills-inclusive room for 330/month and that I would say isn't at the cheap end of prices. Try gumtree or something similar (but keep your wits about you and don't fork out anything until you're sure about the person and the place).
  • ross_uk
    ross_uk Posts: 222 Forumite
    i have thought about sharing but im really worried about finding somewhere then not getting on with that person i will look in to it though thanks for all your replys.
    2010 wins: docking station, Plantronics .audio 995 digital wireless stereo headset, 2x darkthrone albums, geisha assassin dvd. stokes gigs t-shirt, 21 bottles of jamesons whicky, knomo 4 laptop/handbags. 2x dvd, cook book.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Complete the budget planner - this is downloadable from the Free Tools section on the right hand of the page.
  • It's gonna be tight: All you would then need is a crisis - illness, family problem, loss-of-job, spending too much money, someone nicking your identity... and you'll lose the rental place...

"Proceed with care"

Cheers!"

Lodger
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ross_uk wrote: »
    i have thought about sharing but im really worried about finding somewhere then not getting on with that person i will look in to it though thanks for all your replys.

All the fun of flat/house sharing.

Seriously if you don't get on with the people in the house - then you find a replacement for yourself and move out.

And the two things that annoy people more than anything:
    1. Not keeping communal areas tidy i.e. washing your dishes
    2. Not paying rent and bills when they are due.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure