Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Comments

• safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    HOLD UP a second. If its a wasps nest you dont need to do anything, wasps die off in October (when we start to get frost) and they wont reuse the nest next year. Just a thought, and it could save you the £45 removal charge.
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • safesound wrote:
    HOLD UP a second. If its a wasps nest you dont need to do anything, wasps die off in October (when we start to get frost) and they wont reuse the nest next year. Just a thought, and it could save you the £45 removal charge.

I have a similar wasp problem at the moment and was under the impression that they will die off soon, but I'm worried that they've laid thousands of eggs in the roof space which will hatch out next spring, and my problem will return as soon as we get warm weather again. Or am I wrong?
  • amd
    amd Posts: 303
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DON'T CALL ANYONE OUT!!!!!!!

Get off to Woolies and get a container of ANT POWDER. It has Permethrin in it, same as council stuff.

Do it in the LATE EVENING when they're not flying.

Puff it around the area the wasps are coming in/out from. (They pick it up on their bodies and transfer it around the nest). You can't puff the container upwards, as we found out, so maybe work out a way of tipping it from another container if need be. This is serious stuff...... COVER YOURSELF UP AND DO NOT INHALE!

Sister did this last year for a wasp nest in her eaves and an ant nest lower down - nothing at all to see the next day - ALL GONE! :beer:
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
    (Spike Milligan)
  • safesound
    safesound Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    CraigDavid wrote:
    I have a similar wasp problem at the moment and was under the impression that they will die off soon, but I'm worried that they've laid thousands of eggs in the roof space which will hatch out next spring, and my problem will return as soon as we get warm weather again. Or am I wrong?

They wont come back. Wasps nests are one time use only (such a waste considering all the effort they put into them). The only time you might get another problem is if you remove the dead nest and next year a wandering wasp thinks 'ooh, thats a lovely place to site my nest' as its obviously a suitable place for one, IYSWIM.
    :A:A:A:A:A:A
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    they don't come back to the same nest but I found they do come back to the same area - we had wasps' nests in our attic three years running until I got the ratcatcher in to kill the nest and for the last two years we haven't had a problem.

the council had also told me they would die down in the autumn - that's why i didn't resort to poison straightaway - till the morning i put my foot in my slipper and found out the hard way there was a wasp inside it
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • I have a hornets nest, but looking at the charge of £47, I then discovered that a new wheelie bin is the same price

I decided that I need the new wheelie bin more, so I will just let the nest die off and remove it on a cold day in late November
  • If they are wasps they never nest in the same place twice. It's near the end of the season now so if you can live with them for a little while longer they will go naturally. Wasps are good at getting rid of garden pests so don't destroy them unnecessarily.

Bees will of course overwinter.
  • I went for a combination of the above
    1) used ant/wasp nest killer from local hardware store late at night preferably a cool one when they have stoped flying - just squirt it at the entrance hole and stand back.
    Aparently it covers the little b***ers and they take it back down to the nest- never saw one again. I'm not particularly brave with wasps but it was easy

2) as mine was in a loft space and I had severl old nests I put up several of these slow release insecticide hanging things in February just to get any hibernators/returners/hatching larvae
    TANSTAAFL !
  • jmf wrote:
    A friend has an infestation of bees/wasps under a flat roof on an extension.

He has thought of drilling a hole in the facia board so that he can pump something in to kill them, but what!

Any suggestions please.

pop down to a good garden center and pick up some "wasp, ant and insect powder" you will have to check as they dont all kill wasps costs around £3

then spray some powder where the wasps go in and they take it to the nest.

saves a good £45 from the council unless you get benifits or pension credit
  • wayne
    wayne Posts: 317 Forumite
    we had trouble with wasps so i found out where they were going in waited till night time sprayed a can of raid into the entrance the fileed it in with my silicone gun.haven,t seen any scince.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure