How do you remove mould from bathroom sealant

Options
Can anyone advise on the best way to remove mould from bathroom sealant or is it better to remove it and re-apply a new seal?

I have tried neat bleach & mildew removal spray which only slightly reduce the mould.

Comments

• robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like the silicone was poor quality or not meant for bathrooms.

I would remove it and buy best quality bathroom sealant. Don't buy any of this 99p rubbish thats around these days.

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    I agree most of the cheap silicon isnt all that good, but good quality only about £2 to £3 more tends to dry really quickly and has better mold resistance in it.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • dee2005
    dee2005 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Before you replace it, try rubbing it with lemon juice added to water. That might work.
    :beer:
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Re-seal with a mould resistant silicone. Most bleaches and cleaners turn the mould orange.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • John_M_Business
    Options
    Yes. It'd be easier to re-seal (just strip it away, clean the area and then pop some new sealant down - it's actually a pretty quick job).

Also if the sealant is round the bath or shower tray then a good piece of advice I was given is that if it's a bath - half-fill it with water so that the sealant will 'set' with weight in the bath (and therefore will not pull away when you climb in), for a shower tray, just put something of weight in it too.

Cheers
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. It'd be easier to re-seal (just strip it away, clean the area and then pop some new sealant down - it's actually a pretty quick job).

Also if the sealant is round the bath or shower tray then a good piece of advice I was given is that if it's a bath - half-fill it with water so that the sealant will 'set' with weight in the bath (and therefore will not pull away when you climb in), for a shower tray, just put something of weight in it too.

Cheers

That is a really good idea! :T
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes it is a good idea !

however.....it is standard practice when fitting a bath.

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • John_M_Business
    Options
    robowen wrote:
    yes it is a good idea !

however.....it is standard practice when fitting a bath.

rob

... For builders / decoraters - yes! For the general public... er... well... I didn't know it the first and second times I sealed the bath!
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • Vic_980
    Vic_980 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Use this:

http://www.hi-glitz.com/hd-ms.html

HG Mould spray. We use it on our shower seals once a month and it's like magic and doesn't stain anything. Most DIY stores stock it for about £5.

As suggested, it is better not to use cheaper sealant. But even the most expensive silicone sealant will eventually get mould on.
  • DSR
    DSR Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to you all for all your excellent advise.
    I will try using lemon as suggested by Dee2005 and if that does not do the trick I will reseal using a top end silicone seal.

DSR
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport