Positive Input Ventilation System

Hi everyone,

I have recently let a flat out and the tenants have been complaining of damp. To cut a long story short, it is condensation and while I have helped the tenants to manage it correctly (who have been keen to help solve the problem) I need to find a permanent solution that does not rely on having sensible tenants!

In anticipation of other suggestions, the property is as follows:
- ground floor maisonette (detached house)
- 9" brick solid walls (no cavity)
- concrete floors and ceilings (quite a cold flat even with the heating on full blast)
- new double glaxed windows with trickle vents

During my research I came across the Nuaire Flatmaster 2000 and various other Positive input Ventilation Systems.

Does anyone have experience of these. They sound great but do they actually work??? At the best part of a grand to install I really don't want to go to all the trouble to find they are all hype and no help!

Comments

• economiser
    economiser Posts: 897 Forumite
    The important thing with any forced fan system is that the air can get out as well as in. There web site shows the air flowing throughout the flat (note that doors would need to be open to achieve this and you either need air bricks (or leaky windows) to let the air out. Notice also that the supply must not be directly into the bathroom or kitchen as it would spread vapour and smells throughout the house.

There is also no guarantee that the air will ventilate all rooms as shown. It will take the path of least resistance and may be affected by wind pressures.

Which areas of the flat are experiencing the problem? With bathroom and kitchen local extract fans might be more effective and a lot cheaper. Bedrooms are more difficult as fans are too noisy normally and some sort of permanent vent might be a solution.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Is it possible to reinstall a fireplace, if there was one?

We had people recommend a system and then a taxi driver told me to just reinstall the fireplace. We did as it was something we'd have liked to have done anyway and the condensation problem just disappeared!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Vincenzo wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have recently let a flat out and the tenants have been complaining of damp. To cut a long story short, it is condensation and while I have helped the tenants to manage it correctly (who have been keen to help solve the problem) I need to find a permanent solution that does not rely on having sensible tenants!

In anticipation of other suggestions, the property is as follows:
    - ground floor maisonette (detached house)
    - 9" brick solid walls (no cavity)
    - concrete floors and ceilings (quite a cold flat even with the heating on full blast)
    - new double glaxed windows with trickle vents

During my research I came across the Nuaire Flatmaster 2000 and various other Positive input Ventilation Systems.

Does anyone have experience of these. They sound great but do they actually work??? At the best part of a grand to install I really don't want to go to all the trouble to find they are all hype and no help!

I have installed one of these in my house and one in a friends house.
    http://www.nuaireforhomes.co.uk/drimaster2000.shtml
    This is the version you use if you have a loft space.
    Mine has been installed for over 10 years now and is absolutely brilliant.
    No mildew / no running condensation on windows etc etc
    My problems started when we installed upvc double glazing in the 1910 detached house.... sealed up all the draughts but also sealed in all the moisture and started to get problems with mildew on walls and in wardrobes.
    They seem to be expensive but I can assure you that they do work and in my case work very very well.
    If you want to know anything else just post...............:D
  • Vincenzo
    Vincenzo Posts: 526 Forumite
    Mervyn11,

I would have to install the Flatmaster but I presume they are fairly similar. Am I correct in thinking there is one inlet for the whole house? Does this mean that it only works well if all the doors are left open? Also does it make any noise or cause drafts?

Cheers.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes only one inlet for the whole house.
    Doesnt really matter if the doors are open or shut cos a door is never really sealed that tight.
    They do make a slight noise but you soon get used to it and a slight draught can be felt if you stand ( under it in my case) near it.
    The slight drawbacks are far outweighed by the massive improvement in the problems associated with lack of ventilation.
  • Hello there

I was wondering if anybody knew of the merits of a Heat Recovery Ventilation system as an alternative to the Positive Input Ventilation System in terms of combatting condensation in flats?. I know that the HRV systems are usually used in houses, with the inflow at ground level, but I guess flatmaster type unit could be used in houses as well flats?
  • onlyoneme
    onlyoneme Posts: 292 Forumite
    Hi
    Does anyone know howmuch it cost to install one of these (Flatmaster), including the actual equipment.

Thanks
  • mervyn11 wrote: »
    Yes only one inlet for the whole house.
    Doesnt really matter if the doors are open or shut cos a door is never really sealed that tight.
    They do make a slight noise but you soon get used to it and a slight draught can be felt if you stand ( under it in my case) near it.
    The slight drawbacks are far outweighed by the massive improvement in the problems associated with lack of ventilation.

Hi there - shot in the dark I know but I wonder if you are still around !
    im looking into these kind of systems for my late 19the century house, do you still have a good opinion of them - did you have any kind of surveys done before you had it fitted?
    Any other information would be great.
  • Hi,

A friend of mine recently bought an old barn conversion that was done about a year ago. Since moving in he has had problems with condensation, damp and mould. I/we have looked in to what we can do, done a bit of research on the internet and spoken to a few different ventilation companies, both have suggested heat recovery units and/or positive air input units to combat the problem. If you do a google search for positive input units it brings up various ventilation companies and some of them will do a free survey and recommend one of there products to use which we have yet to do. Once we have done this I will report back with what they say, but if anyone could give us anymore information regarding this matter we would be grateful.
    Cost wise, your looking at anything from £100 to £300 plus installation for a heat recovery unit maybe more, and anything from around £200 to £800 or more plus installation for a positive air input unit, all depending on the size of your property and so on.
    I myself am an electrician in Bristol and will be looking in to all this a bit more. If anyone requires or can give me anymore info please contact me on here or at[EMAIL="reachsparky@yahoo.co.uk"] reachsparky@yahoo.co.uk[/EMAIL]
  • Hi sparky101 have you anymore info on the piv system? I just got a quote locally for £6k?? Seems way too much for my budget.If i can buy a unit somewhere i will install it myself. Can anyone tell me where to buy and how much i should pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure