Waste Tech - Don't Use

Options

Comments

• rosie2303
    Options
    Waste Tech customers beware.

This has been bought to my attention by FSB which I recommend. They advised me to join with Team Waste for our rubbish collection- I checked out the difference in prices and I have saved £150 a month!!!

Waste Tech
    - Charge £100 for an annual certificate that is available for free!
    - Provision Charge
    - Landfill Charge
    - Price revision four times a year

Team Waste
    - Free Ceritifcate
    - No Provision
    - No Landfill
    - One Price revision annually
    - Cheaper than Waste Tech anyway

Waste Tech have so far refused to cancel my contract as they charged me for a pickup when they didn't pickup. When asked when could I cancel my contract was told it is in my contract which if I want I have to request ion writing and won't tell me over the phone!

They are over charging and we need to stop them! I don't know if Team Waste can help out all of you lot but check out your rubbish collection bills this is going to save me £150 x 12 = £1800 pa.

Anyone else had problems cancelling their contracts?

What do I do now ?????? I have been threatened with legal action by phsWastetch and I only tried to cancel my contract which is renewable January each year. BUT I was told that I cannot cancel until 2013. I really do not know how to proceed. phsWastetech are a really uncomunicative organisation. No communication unless it is threatening.

Does anyone think we would have a case to take to maybe BBC Watchdog ????
  • rosie2303
    Options
    J_C123 wrote: »
    If you have facebook and wanna reach these ppl through other means, all u gotta do is search wastetech in the search box and match the names with the ppl on the url i jsut added. Then the rest is up to you, do wat u like with there emails and facebooks and personal details :P mobile numbers :rotfl:
    I found darrell laws facebook. :P

What do I do now ?????? I have been threatened with legal action by phsWastetch and I only tried to cancel my contract which is renewable January each year. BUT I was told that I cannot cancel until 2013. I really do not know how to proceed. phsWastetech are a really uncomunicative organisation. No communication unless it is threatening.

• rosie2303
    Options
    Well I'm having much the same problem. How do I get rid of them? I can't find any contract and Trading Standards aren't being much help!

What can I do without getting into trouble, I don't want a court case although I think the Judge would understand why I wanted to leave for example Dec 2005 £185 June 2007 £356!!

I will do whatever it takes, was thinking of just writing and saying you have ignored all my letters and now I'll leave the bins outside and if you want them come and get them!

• convoy
    convoy Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 October 2010 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Hi there everyone,

I'm also stuck in a contract with PHS since they took over from our old supplier 3B Waste. When they took over the contract we went about 3 weeks without service for which they charged us and have refused to credit me for. They have also increased our prices from £8 a lift to £18.72 a lift. They are now charging us a monthly rental fee on 2 bins of £12 a month which isn't in my original contract, the WTN of £145.70 (also not in my original contract), and now I get a letter saying they're charging me £25 to fill out a waste declaration form. Furthermore the declaration form says that if I don't segregate my waste (plastic, glass, etc) for recycling they will put my prices up even more. They don't provide a recycling service except for card and prevent me from recycling anything! I am a small business owner at my wits end paying this company up to £1000 a quarter. I tried to cancel the contract and they said I had to wait until August 2009 to get out of it. I spoke to a solicitor and he said they are an extremely libellous company and will chase any outstanding money through the courts if I just cancel my direct debit and the contract on the grounds of them being in breach of the terms.

It was a great comfort knowing I'm not the only one being ripped off here, and I'd like to offer some help to others who may be reading this. There are 2 great companies based in Leeds now offering lifts for general waste at £8 or £9. They will recycle approx 85% of the waste and you don't have to pre sort it. I thought it was too good to be true but have spoken to a really helpful woman called Kate at LSS who explained that they have modified their waste treatment plant to hand sort commercial waste and recycle it (originally they took building site waste and sorted it for recycling). Why don't PHS provide this kind of service? If anyone is near the end of their contracts, I recommend them! The other company I spoke to is Leeds Paper Recycling, although they did seem a bit disorganised, were perfectly nice and slightly cheaper. They operate the same kind of business.

So as for PHS, I'm going to try and negotiate some fairer charges until the end of my contract, then decrease my collections as much as possible with them. I'll also be contacting the OFT and Watchdog to see if they can do anything to publicise the awful way this company is treating is clients.

Good luck to everyone else!

Hi Lou
    I worked for PHS on the wagons & if you take up thier recycling contract either with a bin or bags you will be wasting you're money as it go's into the same wagon with the general waste & straight to landfill they tell the customers that it's all sorted at a transfer station.
    Believe me i have seen what gets tipped into the back of the wagon & they wouldn't pay me the ages i would expect to go trawling through that lot to sort out the cardboard & paper from the rest.
  • pickle2010
    Options
    PHS Wastetech are like the song 'Hotel California. You can never leave.
    • Non existent customer service.
    • They do not respond to letters, as they don't like to put anything in writing.
    • Charges go up every 3 months as a matter of course, with no warning.
    • Made up charges and fees appear.
    • The contract has the most ridulous onerous clauses which allow them to do whatever they like.
    • Contract weighted entirely in their favour. PHS wastetech can stop service without notification or justifiation. But if you 'purport' to cancel, they will continue to charge what they deem to be their loss of profit for rest of term.
    Litigious, nasty, theives. I wonder how their employees sleep at night.
  • heretolearn_2
    Options
    Thanks for this info, very useful, our previou waste collector closed down and we could only find Wastetech working in our area - but I'm sick of them already, constant extra fees popping up.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One thing worth mentioning is that your local authority may - must? - do trade collections, although I guess these days they are often contracted out. But it would be worth checking before concluding it's only the dreaded Waste Tech.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • asj100
    asj100 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I have just enjoyed a court appearance after PHS took my company to court for none payment of outstanding invoices totalling £1700 plus court costs. ALL THESE CHARGES WERE INCURRED AFTER I CANCELLED my PHS contract with just one month's notice. The PHS invoices included 2 WTNs (Waste transfer Note) and collections they never made as I had changed my supplier.

The first thing I must point out that PHS LOST the case, the Judge used terms like Deplorable, disgraceful and illegal when summing up PHS’s conduct..

First thing, You can cancel the PHS contract at any time… While clause 1.1 does allow them to roll over the contract unless you give them 3 months notice at a specific time point in the contracted period, clause 5.4 also provides for an early cancellation with less than 3 months notice or no notice.

The contract is a binding agreement, that makes it binding on both sides. Therefore if PHS change the terms they are in breach of the agreement. The WTN charges are not detailed in the contract and they are demanding payment for a service/product you did not request them to provide, while the Environment Agency (EA) require you to hold details confirming how you dispose of your waste, there is no requirement for PHS to be the provider of that information. The EA list what is to be recorded, ALL the information they require is contained on the front of the PHS contract. The court agreed with me that PHS had no legal right to demand payment for the WTN, also they had no right to demand that they are the only company who can provide the WTN.

I cancelled because of the increases in prices, the additional endless admin charges and the charges for the WTN. The first thing I did was point out to PHS in a letter that they were in breach of contract by increasing prices and making charges not agreed in the contract. I give them 21 days to refund ALL the over charges and remedy their breach, naturally they ignored this demand. I then wrote to them after them 21 days notice and informed them that as they were in clear breach and had failed to remedy their breach that I would deem the contract void. I also stated that the contract was cancelled and that it would end on a date (I give them 30 days notice, mainly because my new supplier could not start earlier.) I also told them that I required them to remove their equipment (waste bins) from my premises.

I maintained in the court that PHS breached the contract first, I had provided them with an opportunity to remedy the breach which they had refused. The court held that as PHS had breached the contract first and failed to correct the breach I had cause to cancel

Second, They had made a claim to the court for the whole outstanding balance of the invoices they had issued AFTER I cancelled.
    Clause 5.4 of the PHS contract allows them to claim damages if a contract is cancelled without the correct notice in accordance with clause 1.1. However, 5.4 only allows them to claim for loss of profit for the balance of the contract. So if the court had agreed with PHS that I cancelled incorrectly they had NO GROUNDS to claim for any or all of the invoices they had issued. As they were unable to provide the court with any details of their loss of profits, their claim would have failed on that count on its own.

They would not be able to claim that a monthly contract requiring a monthly charge of say £25, to claim that all of that amount profit, therefore the worst they could have done was claim a percentage of the ACTUAL CONTRACTED monthly costs for each month still remaining on the contract.

It is important not to actually owe any of the monies CORRECTLY demanded by PHS, if they have billed you for more than the contracted price and you wish to cancel, make sure you pay the invoice up to the value of the contract. (So if your contracted price is £25 and they bill you for £40, pay the £25 by cheque and include a letter informing them that the additional £15 is in breach of contract) Provided they can’t claim that you haven’t paid the amounts agreed in the contract then PHS will not be able to claim you are also in breach of the agreement and if your breach was first, well it would get messy.

If you want further info, let me know, I will visit this forum for a few weeks to see who wants details to stop these criminals continuing to rip off hard working businesses.

Regards
    Steve asj100
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Steve,
    Good on you for standing up to PHS, we cancelled our contract but fell fowl of their 3 month cancelation clause and so had to have them for another 12 months.We finally got shot of them about 16 months ago. They charged us something like £125-00 for WTN, and also duty of care certificate was about another £100. Their admin charges kept going up every couple of months .

PHS bought out the small company that we had done business with for a number of years and the customer care disappeared overnight.Interesting what you say about contracted costs, our contract was for £25-00 and within weeks of them taking over our previous supplier they increased it by 50% and within 3 months 100%...........

Once again, well done you......:beer:
  • asj100
    asj100 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Leveller

The one point that most people miss when dealing with this shower of a company is that you CAN cancel at anytime, the maximum they can go for is a percentage of the actual contract price, clause 5.4 of their own agreement enables them to recover the loss of profit ONLY if you fail to give the correct notice... However, the main point here is everyone wants to cancel because they are exceeding their rights and charges under the terms of the contract.

PHS found it extremely difficult to win a single point in my court hearing, the judge ruled that their breach and more inportantly their failure to rectify their breach was just cause for us to cancel with immediate effect, therefore clause 1.1 could not apply and clause 5.4 would have been the maximum they could have attempted to recover if I had been found to have breached the agreement first, as they attempted to claim the whole amount they had illigally invoiced for, their still would have lost the case.

Thanks for the kind words, PHS can be beaten and very easily, it took them nearly 18 months to get things to court and 40 minutes from them to be kick out again...

Regards
    Steve
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family