Waste Tech - Don't Use

Comments

• reduce collections to fortnightly and then bung the dustman to collect it the same as before.just dont get caught.most dustman are willing to do this because the company treats them just as bad i have heard.
  • dizzie
    dizzie Posts: 390 Forumite
    I am looking for an alternative to Phs Wastetech and need a company that do sack collections as we have no space for a bin. I have not been impressed with the admin charges that Phs make. For example, although we recycle through another company, we had a round robin letter from Wastech in the summer, introducing their recycling services and telling us that we needed to inform them if we already had recycling measures in place (we had to give them the name of the provider) - and if we didn't do this by the deadline (which was 3 days from the receipt of the letter), we would be automatically contacted in to them (at a charge of £25 + VAT per month)...Oh, and they charged us £15 for the pleasure of them sending us the round robin letter.

I have found a company called wastecollection.com. Does anyone have any experience of these people, or could anyone recommend another company that offers sack collections for small amounts of general waste.

Many thanks
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It would be worth saying where you are, dizzie, because while I can make a suggestion for the Bristol area, I don't think it operates further afield!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dizzie
    dizzie Posts: 390 Forumite
    Hi Sue,

I am in the Leeds area - anyone know of an alternative company to Wastech who will take bagged commercial (general) waste. I only have about a week left to to cancel my contract with an anniversary date of next March. Thanks
  • We are a small charity and I have more correspondence with these spivs at Wastetech than any other utility company put together.

What we did was negotiate an individual contract with them AND also strike out all the offending clauses in the contract they sent me, like being able to increase the price at will, documentation charges etc.

Still had problems e.g. over direct debits so eventually they have now suspended our service and we are going to try and contract with Team Waste.

Main thing is never accept a contract without reading, yes I know it's in small print(!), and strike out anything which is unfair.

If, as they've threatened to do, we negotiate a contract with someone else, they say they'll sue, which they're welcome to do, as by suspending a service they've broke a fundamental term of the contract anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Tony Greenstein
    Brighton & Hove Unemployed Workers Centre
  • Bunnie1982
    Bunnie1982 Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    One thing that might be worthy of a mention is that PHS Wastetech are also a broker, which means that they may not necessarily deal with the bins themselves, but they may be sub contracting out to other companies - which may explain the difference in prices.

In terms of this aspect, they won't be producing the actual waste transfer notes - these will be produced by the company which is actually disposing of your waste.

There should be no cost for a waste transfer note - I should know as I produce them as part of my job (fortunately I don't work for Wastetech)
  • We are having our day in court at 2 pm, Wednesday November 11th. Brighton COunty Court, having been transferred from Haywards Heath.

One of the most frequent complaints is their clause which allows them to increase charges whenever they wish. I believe that this is likely to fall foul of Lord Denning's ruling in Spurling v Bradshaw 466 WLR where he said:

‘Some clauses I have seen would need to be printed in red ink with a red hand’. Denning’s Red Hand Test. Can’t hide onerous or unreasonable exclusion clauses and have to draw attention to them specifically. I think the Wastetech clause fits perfectly into this.
  • delbert30
    delbert30 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Dear All

I have worked in the waste industry for over 11 years for one of the major players dealing with contracts, until they made be redundant so I set up my own waste and recycling company, these large companys will charge for everthing including ceasing a contract or holding you to the letter of the contract, I will tell you the sneaky ways to get out of these.

The ways to cease a waste contract if you are willing to be sneaky.

1, We have sold the business, give a reasonable period say 2 weeks notice, new owners take over from blah blah date, please remove the bin after this date, you can also say that new owners already have a waste supplier set up and order your new supplier bin.

They will ask you to put this in writing that you have sold the business, this is only so they can cease your account and complete the final invoice, thats all, they will never ask you to prove this as could breach the Data protection act.

2, we are clsoing the business down due to the recession.

Again they will ask you to put this in writing just close the account, again they will never ask you to prove it. who would?

When you do sign with a new supplier you can write on the bottom where you sign your new contract that you will give 30 days notice to canx this contract just in case you have any problems with new suppliers, stay away from the big companys use the smaller local companys who will give you a personal touch and keep your costs down.

good hunting
    delbert30
  • Good news re Wastetech. People may recall that I said that after a prolonged dispute they sued us for what they considered an outstanding contract (after having frozen collections). We in turn counter-claimed. Well about 3 weeks ago they sent a letter offering to reduce the amount they were claiming if we settled! Naturally I refused but I did put in a counter-offer. If they dropped their claim I would drop the counter claim!

After having initially refused my offer Wastetech subsequently decided to accept it. Which is fine by me as a claim for consequential damages was always going to be difficult. Moral? Don't allow them to walk all over you, record everything (fax/e-mail etc.) be sure that you are alleging that they are guilty of breach of contract and destroying trust and confidence (and this can in my view include continually adding things to the bill so you can't trust them).

If there are queries I can be reached on bhuwc@bhuwc.org.uk

cheers

Tony Greenstein
  • trinity1 wrote: »
    Has anyone been threatened with legal action and a service suspension through outstanding payments?
    I'm a little unsure of what to do, I've contacted customer services who weren't much help and I've written them a letter which they have ignored.
    I'm willing to pay what I owe them but for the past few invoices they have incorrectly invoiced me with the wrong sized bin. I can't pay an invoice which is incorrect.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem?

What do I do now ?????? I have been threatened with legal action by phsWastetch and I only tried to cancel my contract which is renewable January each year. BUT I was told that I cannot cancel until 2013. I really do not know how to proceed. phsWastetech are a really uncomunicative organisation. No communication unless it is threatening.

Does anyone think we would have a case to take to maybe BBC Watchdog ????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure