How often should you service your car?

Yearly? Every 6 months? :confused:

What do you reckon peeps?

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Each car has a recommendation for different levels of service. These are usually put at X number of miles or X months - depending on which comes first.

So if you are a high mileage user then you should have your car serviced more often than someone who only drives small amounts. ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Zeitgeist
    Zeitgeist Posts: 309 Forumite
    It's also important to have your oil and oil filter changed in between services. If you are handy you can do this yourself.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain
  • youngmum_2
    youngmum_2 Posts: 242 Forumite
    Zeitgeist wrote: »
    It's also important to have your oil and oil filter changed in between services. If you are handy you can do this yourself.

Nope, not handy, lol! :o Would this be expensive to get a garage to check and do?
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Zeitgeist wrote: »

Certainly do not agree with this post..........
    Service your car according to the manufacturers service schedule there is absolutely no point ( other than wasting money of course) on changing your oil and filter between services.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    mervyn11 wrote: »
    Certainly do not agree with this post..........
    Service your car according to the manufacturers service schedule there is absolutely no point ( other than wasting money of course) on changing your oil and filter between services.

Plus on modern cars you need a computer to clear the engine management system when you drop the oil. My OH has a friend who decided to change his oil in between services and it cost him a fortune to get the garage out to clear it as it wouldn't start.

As others have said each vehicle has a recommended service interval and for low mileage drivers at least once a year, mine usually has two:eek:
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • gareth12_2
    gareth12_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    every new car thats over a certain year recent year has to allow the user to reset the service lights via the dash. its the law. not all cars need it to be reset and changing the oil and filter would certainly not stop the car from starting no matter what car. changing the filter and oil is real easy, depending on what car the hardest part will be taking the undertray off on the floor. what car you got
  • Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    I change my oil every 6k on my Peugeot 406 HDi.

The reason?

I only pay for the filter,the oil is free.

Ken.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You have to remember that service intervals for some cars are set far too high this keeps the fleet bean counters happy.

If i was planning on keeping car for any length of time I would probably change the oil and filter between 6,000 and 10,000 miles regardless.

The other job i would do is the timing belt well before the official time. Timing belts are the curse of modern cars with many suffering from premature failure.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I get my 10-year-old Mk2. Mondeo serviced every 10,000 miles, which is approximately yearly. Some things (ie. cabin air filter) are due every so many years, others (ie. spark plugs) are due every so many thousand miles. I do as much as I can myself.

However, I get the oil and filter changed (at National Tyres for either £20 less 10% for online booking, or £15 with a voucher from a national paper) every 5,000 miles. It is like an internal interim service.

The cambelt (and the pulleys and tensioner wheels, etc.) is due every 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes sooner. Therefore, mine is due this year, even though the mileage will only be 90,000. As a true MSE, I will be getting the Ford kit of the parts online for less than the garage charged me back in 2002!
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A lot of lease companies now ignore the intermediate services [oil & filter] & only insist on the main ones.
    I guess they have done their sums - cost of services against any any reducution in the residual value.
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure