Dulux Paint Stinks?

2»

Comments

• Lippycow
    Lippycow Posts: 312 Forumite
    I have used Dulux Satinwood on my rads for years and never had this happen before so wondering if it could be something to do with the quick dry as this is the first time i have used this one and this has been a month of smells now,and i did allow a couple of weeks to dry as the weather was mild and i didn't use the rads then.
  • AM556
    AM556 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I have just used Dulux gloss and wish I'd never chosen it!
    The place stinks of paraffin fumes coming from the storage heaters, fan oven and even the toaster. The heaters can't now be used without choking, neither the oven nor the toaster can be used without food tasting awfull.
    It's been 3 days now and there is no sign of the smell abating, the coldest spell for years and no heating! THANKS ALOT DULUX!
  • Ignite
    Ignite Posts: 352
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not quite the same RE radiators, but I've just tried the Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood paint and it's great. It's a water based (rather than solvent based) paint and has very little smell. It's also touch dry in 6 hours and seems to have dried to a good hard finish within 24 hours. Also it is not meant to be yellowing. However the big disadvantage is the price. About £15 for 1 litre!!!
  • An old fashioned tip that my old dad taught me is to get a bowl or container and half fill with water, then cut a large onion in half , placing it cut side up in the bowl, this really helps to cut down on paint fumes when decorating, use as few or as many as you think fit for the size of room, leave overnight, and if any paint smell lingers the next day, repeat the process, it has always worked for me, I have had the smell from radiators as well though, but not as bad as the OP seems to, ours did fade with time .
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AM556 wrote: »
    I have just used Dulux gloss and wish I'd never chosen it!
    The place stinks of paraffin fumes coming from the storage heaters, fan oven and even the toaster. The heaters can't now be used without choking, neither the oven nor the toaster can be used without food tasting awfull.
    It's been 3 days now and there is no sign of the smell abating, the coldest spell for years and no heating! THANKS ALOT DULUX!
    Did I read that right?

You have painted...

a) a storage heater?

b) an electric oven?

c) a toaster?

Amazing!

"Food tastes awful"... did you paint the inside of the oven?
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    Did I read that right?

You have painted...

a) a storage heater?

b) an electric oven?

c) a toaster?

Amazing!

"Food tastes awful"... did you paint the inside of the oven?

Trying to be funny? :mad:
    FYI the fumes fill the house and burn off when in contact with any exposed heating element.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Out of all the 'gloss' paints I have used I like the satinwood dulux one the best.

It doesnt stink like some others which linger for ages. Have tried lit candles, onions on plates etc to get rid of the stink, any more ideas as I am going to be decorating the hall landing and stairs over xmas whilst the shop is closed.

I hate painting especially emulsion, if I could wallpaper everything I would ! Don't know about the radiators though :)

Question for you, Have had all the walls were I am painting plastered to a high polished finish. Will I need to undercoat first, or can I go straight over with top coat, which is coffe coloured anyway. As already said hate painting, rather do top coat only if I can get away with it. Any expert decorators out there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure