divert home phone to mobile

Hi
I divert my home phone sainsburys to my mobile vodaphone which I have to do for work ,is there a cheap way of doing this as monthly bill from sainsburys is large, TMH

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not have an answerphone on home phone with your mobile number on it or sign up with 1899 and divert using 1899 Mobile number.

I assume BT will allow you to enter at least 15 digits for the divert string and they allow you to divert using override services like 1899. I cannot test this as there are no BT phone lines in Hull.

Calls to all UK mobiles using 1899 are 10p/min weekdays, 2p/min weekends plus a 3p connection charge. 1899 charges no registration fee and no rental. You just need a credit card to sign up. Once signed up, you can usually use within minutes.

If your Mobile is on an Orange contract tariff (except OVP plans) the chances are you could use 1899 to make cheap calls from your mobile too!

To sign up with 1899 go here: https://www.1899.com
  • Hi Paul thanks for your help , an answerphone is no good to me as people need to speak to me straightaway, so would you ditch sainsburys for all calls and just use 1899 and are they helpful at 1899 tmh.
  • Paul_Varjak
    1899 is so cheap their customer service is virtually non-existent. You can only contact them via E-Mail.

Another thing to consider if incoming calls are so important is that 1899 is not the most reliable service out there. I think this is because they buy network time and once this us used you cannot make calls. If you are receiving emergency calls I would not recommend it.

For your own home phone use they are ideal. If you cannot make a call then just use your normal provider as backup. Anyway, suggest you try them for your home phone calls and get to see how reliable they are.

If you do use them for divert you should set up your 1899 account so that the Tariff message is off, otherwise people calling you will get confused!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I would probably ditch Sainsburys for all your calls. Do you pay them a monthly fee for calls?

I would look into Onetel via Martin's thread here for free evenings and w/end UK calls for one year with a £20 credit and sign up for both 1899 for mobiles and 18866 for any daytime UK calls at 0p per minute with a 1p connection charge.
  • Paul_Varjak
    I agree with edinburghglass. You basically keep BT, dump Sainsbury's use a mixture of Onetel, 18866 and 1899. Use 1899 to divert to mobile.

OneTel gives you free directory enquiry calls.

You can also use 1899 VOIP for absolutely free calls from PC to UK landlines.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I have the sam problem in needing to divert calls to my bt landline to my mobile and having to pay the divert charges at BT rates.

I have 18866 and entering the number 18866 before my mobile number when setting up divert does not work .

A point to remember is that the cost of ringing mobiles ( or diverting to ) from a BT landlane varies a great deal depending on the network of the mobile. I use a O2 mobile as this is usually the cheapest mobile to divert to ( look on bt website)

If anyone knows a way to route divert calls other than with BT please let me know.
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • zx2011
    zx2011 Posts: 309 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
  • Paul_Varjak
    bestyman wrote:
    Hi,

I have the sam problem in needing to divert calls to my bt landline to my mobile and having to pay the divert charges at BT rates.

I have 18866 and entering the number 18866 before my mobile number when setting up divert does not work .

A point to remember is that the cost of ringing mobiles ( or diverting to ) from a BT landlane varies a great deal depending on the network of the mobile. I use a O2 mobile as this is usually the cheapest mobile to divert to ( look on bt website)

If anyone knows a way to route divert calls other than with BT please let me know.

Didn't know that you couldn't use 18866 on the BT call divert. Why does it not work? Is it because you cannot enter enough digits for the divert 'string'? If it is because BT does not allow you to use an alternative provider when diverting then if you can enter a lot of digits in divert 'string' then, maybe, you could divert to the 18866 freefone number followed by two 'pauses', followed the mobile number.

Another possibility is to sign up with OneTel for both landline and mobile phone as calls between OneTel landline and OneTel mobile are free! The problem is, again, being able to program the necessary long 'string' of digits to divert your call! But I guess there is always some 'magic' box you can buy for your homephone to do the divert for you!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Just a few more thoughts about the 'magic box' idea. In order for this to work I think a second phone line would be necessary.

It would be nice if the 'magic box' could use the 'three way' calling feature to make the divert call; however, I do not think this would work, as only the originator of a call can initiate a three way call. At least that is the case on BT lines.

I have rung ORCHID and they are producing a product that will divert calls over a second fixed landline. This product will allow you to divert using 'least cost routing', just like their other products.

So, if you got OneTel on your landline and got a OneTel mobile, you would pay nothing for the call diverts and the only extra to pay is line rental on the second line.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi ,
    Many many thanks. I soon will be £60 a monthe better off!!!!!!

Just phoned one tel and the free calls from landline to mobile can be diverted without a second phone line for FREE.

Just gonna look at the one tel packages now and see which is the best .

Thanks again
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure