Loft Installation question re laying over boards

Options
2»

Comments

• wildmandy
    Options
    Except that the recomended thickness was 270mm 10yrs ago. Must still be at least that now if not more.

True, but any insulation will work and the first 100mm is the most effective. 170mm thickness should be placed over the joists (or over the boarding).

Mandy
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    wildmandy wrote: »
    True, but any insulation will work and the first 100mm is the most effective. 170mm thickness should? be placed over the joists (or over the boarding).
    Mandy

Should doesn't come into it, I've not seen any regs or recomendations stating such, especially over boards. If the loft is required to be boarded for storage, then the best way is to extend the size of the ceiling joists where the boards are needed by screwing 4"x2" timbers on top of the joists making 8" in total, and "screw" the boards down adding stability to your new joists. If you lay 270mm insulation, the boards will compress it very slightly but not enough to make any noticable difference.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suggest you read the bit about this in "Teach Yourself - Saving Energy in the Home". Its £9.99 in the Teach Yourself series of books.

There is a section in there on loft insulation. I have duly made a note myself about it - basically they say that there is "loft board insulation" available for those with boarded lofts and that one lays a layer of this loft board insulation on the boarded area. For maximum savings then use a 2nd layer of loft board insulation.

Thus - a sandwich in effect:

layer 1 - loft boarding
    Layer 2 - loft board insulation
    Layer 3 - loft board insulation

Planning to do this myself at some point.

That book is well worth buying generally for all the energysaving tips in it - I've made a note of quite a few things I wasnt aware of.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    If you have insulation over the loft boards then there is no point in having the loft boards, so why not remove them. Otherwise, if you put anything in the loft onto the insulation, it will will be squashed and its effect negated.
    Basically you have to decide between insulation(and thus, less energy costs) or a measure of storage. Which do you want most.
    The other alternative is, as has already been suggested, to raise the level of the joist tops to allow another layer of insulation to be added.
    I was in my loft today to make start adding insulation. My compromise will be to leave a smallish area near to the hatch, boarded for storage and to double the insulation everywhere else. The other part of the project will be to ruthlessly clear out the accumulated 'stuff'.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    What of you were to unroll some of the mirrored film over the insulation then lay the chipboard? Also, what is the 'U' value of 20mm chipboard, that will insulate too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure