Principles & Dorothy Perkins Store Cards and PPI

I have read through many of the posts regarding PPI claims and am feeling a little more informed but I have a couple of questions that I am hoping somebody more knowledgable can help me with.

Way back in the late 80's I was a student and at the point of sale was offered discount on my shopping in Dorothy Perkins if I took out a store card with them.

I was not in any type of employment at the time and as a niave 19 year old was more interested in the money off rather than anything the salesperson may or may not have said re PPI.

I had the card up until around 2003 - is this too long ago to make a PPI mis selling claim? I have read some posts regarding limitation periods and have found them confusing. There also seems to be an additional problem in that The Burton Group who the card was with and the bank First Personal Bank may not have been regulated by the FSA. They card scheme was later run by GE Capital bank. Does anyone have any advice on this for me please?

I also had a store card with Principles. This was taken out in around 1996 (haven't got exact dates) and again it was the lure of money off at the point of sale to take out a store card that encouraged me to take out the card. The card was sold by the shop staff rather than anyone with a financial background and at the time my employers would have paid 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay if I was off sick/accident and an enhanced redundancy package. I also had savings.

The card was eventually taken over by Ikano and account was finally closed earlier this year. If I make a claim for mis selling of PPI do I make it to, Principles, GE Capital, Ikano.

I would be very grateful for anyone's advice or experience

Comments

• Since regulation only began in 2005, it's a waste of time complaining about these cards 16 and 20+ years on.
  • Thank you for your post. I thought as much but as I have just put in claims with my bank for front loaded ppi on a loan and ppi on my credit card I thought I would check all my other loans and cards.

Thank you for replying
  • Wendy5641
    Wendy5641 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2012 at 12:34PM
    Hi Moneyineptitude,

I have been thinking about your post re. regulation only begnning in 2005.

I am not sure I understand the signficance of this date. I assume that you mean that as the agreements were taken out prior to regulation I will be unlikely to proove a case for mis selling. Would this still apply even though one of the store card accounts was in use after regulation came into force?

In which case what is the difference with the store card possible mis selling PPI and a successful claim for PPI mis selling that I had with my bank which was for a loan in 2002 so prior to the 2005 date that you mention.

I'm sorry for all of the questions but would appreciate some further advice

Thank you
  • Wendy5641 wrote: »
    In which case what is the difference with the store card possible mis selling PPI and a successful claim for PPI mis selling that I had with my bank which was for a loan in 2002 so prior to the 2005 date that you mention.
    Banks were regulated prior to 2005, though not by the current body. Others, like store cards etc, were not.
    In addition, you'd also struggle with Bank loans as old as the finance you refer to in the thread title.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure