Tree surgery?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,936 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    flossyblog wrote:
    your council should be able to help you with removal of trees and usually free of charge.

Interesting, great if its true, but why would my council remove trees in my garden?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    well our council charged me £10 for a single side A4 photocopy of the planning permission application for removing ours. If their photocopier is that expensive I dread to think how much their tree surgeons are......... (though I know they use the company we are using as a preferred contractor)
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My mum has a big tree that is part of a council hedge bordering her garden. Last year a huge bit came down in a storm. They said it was for her to sort out not them as it merged into her garden. cost her a fortune
  • Earlier this year we had to have a large willow which had grown across our garden border over the top of our neighbours shed- removed. In heavy winds it would drop twigs and larger stuff into her garden and she was worried it would eventually come down on her shed. I was told years ago that willows are very brittle and can be unstable so I didnt want to take any chances. The work had to be done from her side of the boundary and the tree surgeons cleared up every bit of material and used a hefty shredder to shred a lot of it which she asked to keep for her garden - hence she was well pleased. It cost us c.£350 and took half a day. The firm were very professional and the workmen considerate and polite. I would use them again even though it was more than I wanted to pay - but I just get very attached to me savings!!
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bit puzzled that you're all responding to a post made nearly 7 months ago?

Her trees can't have re-grown that much over the Summer.:D
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Mikeyorks wrote:
    Bit puzzled that you're all responding to a post made nearly 7 months ago?

Her trees can't have re-grown that much over the Summer.:D

because someone else asked another tree surgery question a couple of weeks ago having cleverly searched to see if the answer existed and used an old thread rather than the usual trick of just posting a new question because it's 'easier'
  • You'll have a laugh at this. We've got a yew in our front garden which is currently covered in berries. Last weekend a "bloke" knocked at the door, "doing some work in the neighbourhood" and offered to give DH a quote for "cutting down your fern tree"! :rotfl: Strewth if he can't tell what a yew tree is........... needless to say we just laughed and said no.
    But I'm going to say this once, and once only, Gene. Stay out of Camberwick Green :D
  • tree_contractor
    tree_contractor Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 24 August 2009 at 12:30AM
    Regarding the first post - £150 sounds very reasonable indeed and I suspect that the price was this low purely due to the recession as tree surgeons are having a hard time of it! Some of the first things to be hit in a recession is construction and tree surgery. Domestic customers are more than happy to leave work untreated for an additional year through hard times.

Having worked in the tree surgery industry and worked alongside expert arborists like my brother, it sometimes saddens me when people grumble at the prices of tree work.

Tree surgery is reknowned for being in the top 5 most dangerous jobs alongside oil rigging, trawler fishing, firefighting etc. It is a profession hugely reliant on trained experts in the field.

Of course there are unqualified people out there who DO under charge, who DO NOT have any qualifications but may have dabbled as a groundsman and picked things up. There are people who DO fly tip as they do not have the correct resources and should NOT be working in the filed of tree surgery. These people cast a dark shadow on the reputation of tree surgeon tradesmen and bring notoriety to the tree surgery trade.

In defense of the prices that true, recommended, qualified, fully insured, reputable and reliable tree surgeon will charge it is worthwhile taking into consideration the costs a professional tree surgeon has just to run the business before profits.

First of all equipment-
    A professional tree surgeon never skimps on kit!
    First of all PPE - Harnesses, spikes, chainsaw boots, chainsaw pants, chainsaw gloves, helmets, visors, ear protectors (this is all per person!)

Ropes - Various kinds of ropes used for different purposes, ropes for climbing ( times this by the number of tree surgeons on site!) ropes for felling, specially designed ropes for lowering and sectional dismantle, carribeanas, slings, pulleys etc etc

Next - Machinery! various chainsaws - lots of them! Chainsaws for climbing, chainsaws for felling, spare blades, spare chains, chain files, body spares etc etc
    Hedge Trimmers, trimmer extensions, blowers, suckers, poles and saw blades (to with stand amps on high voltage cables, not cheap!), pruner heads

and then some-
    Van/tipper big enough for site clearance
    Woodchippers - £15,000+ each
    Stumpgrinders - £8,000+ each

Then the auxilliary stuff-

rakes, brushes, pruners, loppers, blah blah blah

I missed one earlier, possible the mst important - TRAINING - Payment for memberships, NPTC qualifications, City & Guilds, NVQs, climbing courses, powerline clearance/shut down courses etc etc if you are a budding tree surgeon wannabe you might be lucky enough to get the opportunity to work for a large firm that will fund train you.
    take all this and then add the cost to maintain all of these above - to repair equipment, to sharpen, change, replace chipper blades, the time it takes to sharpen chainsaw blades or replace when it cuts through a nail that was absorbed by the tree 15 years ago by a washing line that did once upon a time hang, the cost of fuel in all of the above! Sure it might take half an hour to an hour to lower a hedge - and double the time to chip, clear up, and express courier the tons of green waste back to the yard (Oh yes another huge factor - yard rental!!!!) to be tipped and rotated in neat mountainous piles!

So this is the general run of the mill stuff for any professional tree surgeon outfit worth its salt!

Now lets take into account the market - My brother gets a lot of repeeat business, he is very recommended and respected in his trade. Repeat customers are bread and butter - now, the only trouble is - how fast do trees really grow? Now this will obviously vary from species to species, but generally - after he has performed all of his work professionally like the perfectionist he is - conforming to BS3998, the trees will, generally, not need tending or any further treatment for 2-3+ years.

So here comes the other chunky cost - advertising! Well I might assume the reader of this post to think 'all businesses have to do it!' - and I would agree this to be true. However take into account the fact that other markets generally have faster repeat business!

So how much is it to advertise in: yellow pages, yell.com, thomson local, the local door step publications, trade journals, company leaflet printing & distribution, websites, the cost of developing, maintaining hosting, and search engine optimisation. etc etc

Ok so we have established the run of the mill costs- now lets look at the longevity of a tree surgeon and his/her career-

My brother, for instance started at 18 years old, he has been in the profession for over 16 years and has worked for multiple large firms on utility contracts and set up his own tree surgery business. He is very practical and hands on and expects everyone else on site to be his standards or higher! He will always be a tree surgeon!

Now despite the reoccuring risks of self amputation, loss of sight, being crushed beneath falling timbers...and oh... yes...death, the most common hazards and illnesses associated with tree surgery is vibration white finger. A numbness of the nerves caused by repetitive use of chainsaws, hedge trimmers and constant daily use of machinery.

So lets see, assuming all the risks involved and hazely outlined above - do you think £150 is really worth it?

Have you tried weilding a chainsaw or professional hedge trimmer for more than 10 mins?

Well don't cos it wrecks! And kickback will hurt more, so if you wanna go gunho in your garden then seek training first or call in a professional tree surgeon!

£150? You got a good deal!!!!
  • OP has probably moved house by now!....(albeit a good response)
  • I agree it is cheap. My sisters BF is a tree surgeon and he makes 3 grand a week! It mostly danger money my sister is terrified he will kill himself waving a chainsaw around in the top of a tree :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure