PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours tree/bush blocking my light and overhanging my property.

Frances63
Frances63 Posts: 265 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 3 October 2010 at 2:25PM in House buying, renting & selling
I have a neighbour who is trying to get a restrictive covenant removed that would enable him to build a 2-storey front extension. I have the benefit of that covenant and have refused to lift it and now he has applied to the Lands Tribunal for a 'modification' to which I must object.

He has planted a fast-gowing buddleia bush (tree?) which is now about 20 feet tall right up against the front boundary wall (just a low wall) between the two houses. The main branch comes over my property and 2 other branches dont. This is a blatent attempt to block out my light so that he can argue that the proposed extension won't make a difference to my light as the bush blocks it out anyway. I have been advised to cut down the parts that overhang my property but I would like my neighbour to have the chance to do this himself first.

I have compiled a letter, & wonder if this is ok to send as it is? :-

Dear Mr. ****

Please arrange to have the fast-growing buddleia tree/bush in your front garden either removed or pruned so that it is taken back to the boundary line and no part of it overhangs my property.

If you do not action this request within 14 days of receipt of this letter I will arrange to have this done and any expense incurred will be charged to you.

Yours faithfully

Is there anything wrong with the above? Anything I should add or remove? Would 7 days notice be acceptable, or must it be 14?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Gwhiz
    Gwhiz Posts: 2,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not just knock on the door and say "do you want to chop the bits overhanging or shall I?"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you choose to use a letter rather than Gwhiz's suggestion above, then the wording is fine.
  • olibrofiz
    olibrofiz Posts: 821 Forumite
    The Garden Law forum is great for advice on issues such as these, there's lots of people in similar situations (& horror stories too!)

Good luck
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2010 at 2:57PM
    Gwhiz wrote: »
    Why not just knock on the door and say "do you want to chop the bits overhanging or shall I?"
    It's perhaps likely that the OP wants to have a record of "ongoing hostilities"?

If writing I would have worded it along the lines of

You may not be aware that the buddleia bush recently planted by you, near to the boundary wall, has branches that are now encroaching on my property. As a matter of courtesy, I am letting you know that I shall be cutting these back to the boundary line within the next 7 days.

Please let me know if you would like to have the cut branches returned to you or if you would prefer to do the work yourself.

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can cut the branches over hanging your property and offer them back to him.

As for charging him for this work, forget it, you will get absolutely nowhere.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Frances63
    edited 3 October 2010 at 3:47PM
    Thanks for all the advice above I really appreciate it!

TBS 624 - that's a great letter, & much better, thanks.

McKneff - I do realise I won't get anywhere with charging him (it's actually really easy to cut off the branches so will do it myself or another neighbour has offered) I just would rather the owner of the tree did it himself and thought adding the 'costs' bit would help him to make up his mind to do that. ;)

I'll put the letter through his letterbox now, and send another one by registered mail on monday as I know he'll ignore the first.

Thanks so much for all your answers! :)
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Whatever happened to neighbours talking to each other?
  • Frances63
    Believe me I've tried. It's not my fault. I was very nice to him at first and unfortunately that is what got me into trouble with the covenants, he thought the sweet girl next door wouldn't know any better and tried to get me to sign them away by foul means! He thought because I was nice that I was also stupid or naive. I took advice though.

He talks to none of the other neighbours on this estate and they are all very friendly. They organised a street party a few weeks back and also our street has a rounders team that play against other streets in the park one evening a month.

It is just this one odd guy that is quite hateful. He has fallen out with many of the neighbours, not just me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure