part time work and jobseekers allowance

Comments

• Just read this thread and it answered my questions too, so thanks! Thanks for the benefits heads-up too, I can see that becoming tiresome very quickly.
  • you could try working tax credits or speaker to the job seekers and rthey can say wether as fluctuating hours if they can average them for you as long as keep the amounts up to date you still get ni paid help with housing
  • Some time ago, in 2003, I was offered the chance to do some part-time teaching whilst unemployed: about 5 hours a week. I didn't follow up on it, because I found full-time work, but the guy who offered the work to me told me that there was a way to keep the lion's share of my money. Basically, he told me that there was a loophole in the law. Actors were able to work for a few hours a week and keep most of their dosh, and other workers could use this provision too (hence, a loophole). Has anyone heard of this, whether what I was told is correct or how it might work? I'm thinking that if you're not paid PAYE, but in some other way, you might be able to swing it... How are actors paid when they work part time?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Even if there was such a loophole in 2003, I wouldn't rely on it still being available now.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • What on earth will you be doing that pays £17 -20 per hour? If you have those sort of skills you should have no need to be unemployed.

Ha! If only the world worked like that!
  • What on earth will you be doing that pays £17 -20 per hour? If you have those sort of skills you should have no need to be unemployed.

Ha! If only the world worked like that! Especially at the moment.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    It didn't make sense the first time you said it!
  • It didn't make sense the first time you said it!

Strange because someone else earlier up in the thread explained it in detail too I see.

Jobs that pay a very high hourly rate are often just that -hourly rate casual jobs, often in the realm of self employment where you have to struggle hard to make up your hours. Many people doing this sort of work sometimes sign on when their hours drop for a certain period and so long as they are willing to take permanent work if it is offered and they declare the income they do get the job centre is happy to deal with these people.

It will be on the increase in the current climate as people look to their hobbies and skills to find casual employment while they look for something permanent.

Hope that expanded explanation helps you understand why people disagree with your assumption that people on high hourly rates should not be unemployed. I will try not to post twice this time. ;)
  • liberatrix
    liberatrix Posts: 7 Forumite
    I think actors have freelance contracts and it is up to them to declare, but I am not completely sure.
    I am on JSA and I´be been offered casual market research work for the next 2 o 3 weeks. In order not to loose the JSA I can only work 15 hours per week and they pay £8 ph, so It adds up to £120 from which JSA will deduct £60 and most probably they'll inform Housing Benefit that will deduct some money from the £95 weekly they give me. So in the end for 15 hours casual work I am going to get almost no money and plenty of hassle. What your view on this? Should I take it or not?
  • some negative info here but we are on jobseekers as we cant get jobs so if the opportunity arrises grab it with both hands even if it is part-time and you are financially no better off mentally you are you will regain your confidence whilst adding to your c.v some people abuse the benefit system which us why we get as small as an amount as we do! jobseekers is wot it is you are a job seeker! if your ill and cant work go on DLA. But I believe anyone on jobseekers whom can get work be it 8 hours on minimum wage as who wants to sit at home becoming depressed looking for work at an age when our country is in recession with lack of work. Take a positive step and work part-time to get your life on track should a full-time come along :):T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure