I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 March 2012 at 10:20PM
    Edwardia wrote: »
    OH just handed me some clotted cream ice cream mmm
    Yum. Waaitrose used to do the most own-brand delicious clotted crean and strawberry ice-cream but I haven't seen iit for years! It was very sweet, very creamy and very dreamy :).

ETA: just seen it on MySupermarket for £2.49/L, now with a cow on the pacakging. All is well :D.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    I don't have room in my (small) chest freezer until Easter when the duck, lobsters and bits of fish/seafood I've been accumulating for soupe de poissons, are removed. But I will look out for that, thanks !
  • Good Morning,

Happy Mothers Day!!! DD burst in my room at 6.30am shoving cards & presents in my face lol, even a balloon :eek: How on earth she hid a balloon without me knowing I have no idea lol

Kirri I did indeed resist the muffins, they are now looking pretty on a stand with a bow waiting for mum who's coming over for lunch :)

Breakfast was last of the rice krispies (yay another box gone) dd had other cereal
    Lunch will be a chicken dinner with swede, carrots, savoy cabbage, roasties, stuffing & yorkshires
    Chicken is roasting as I type, it smells great
    Dinner will prob be a boiled egg for dd, I doubt I'll have anything after lunch maybe a slice of toast this evening

Another great haul Lyndsey!!

Have a lovely day all if you're a mum or not :)

BE x
    March grocery challenge 147.28 / 150.00 :j

April grocery challenge 60.36 / 150.00
  • lyra
    lyra Posts: 119 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

Spent the afternoon making a load of goodies including gajrela (http://desirecipes.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/gajar-ka-halwa-or-gajrela/) /QUOTE]
    That looks amazing :T What sort of quantities does it make please? Would love to do it for my parents :)

NSD yesterday or today. Round at my mum & dad's for mothers day. My brother's cooking roast pork, with apple cake to follow :T
  • tracey12_2
    tracey12_2 Posts: 425 Forumite
    Kirri wrote: »
    Thanks Lynsey, it's been a difficult week, I just feel I am being totally ripped off, I am paying almost as much as a relative who has been driving for 1 year!!! Anyway not much I can do about it.. Just hope it goes through the MOT but with my luck probably not!!

I know the feeling Kirri, I have been driving for 18 years with no accidents or points (touch wood) and feel I am being ripped off. When I first passed my test I had my own insurance for years. I left work on maternity leave and my ex-husband and I only had one car then so I was a named driver on his insurance. When I left him and got my own car I took out my own insurance and they charged me as if I was a first time driver as I had lost my own no claims bonus. I was well miffed :mad:

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers on MSE.

Had annual sight test done this morning, chose new glasses and prescription sunglasses this time - got to go back to get contact lenses sorted tho.

Suggested pub lunch to OH and thankfully we missed the Mumday rush. Wiltshire ham, fried free range eggs and salad watching Aussie GP.

OH gone to Sainsbo's to pick up dinner and DVD.
  • VfM4meplse
    lyra wrote: »
    what sort of quantities does it make please? Would love to do it for my parents :)
    4kg of carrots reduced down sufficiently to fill a 2L pyrex container, so quite a lot :D. It took about 90 mins to reduce down, with constant stirring, but I have found a microwave recipe that will save you loads of time: http://showmethecurry.com/desserts/carrot-halwa-gajjar-ka-halwa.html

That amount does last a long time as you only eat a small amount at a time, alternatively you can freeze it. I would suggest reducing the grated carrots until they are really red, and then adding sugar to taste as carrots are naturally sweet anyway. I tend to add a lot less sugar but my parents compensate by warming it and then dousing it with double cream; I prefer it warm with vanilla Carte D'Or.

Had a marathon cook-in today! Made a load of food today so my parents won't have to do much when they get back, and got the deep fryer out for the first time in years! Made piles and piles of broccoli and baby spinach pakoras using some chickpea flour that had been hiding at the back of cupboard for years! Unfortunately my falafel (which I had intended to make in bulk and freeze) were a disaster - I think the mixture was too loose despite following the recipe - which meant that they started to break up in the oil :o. I fried about a quarter of the mixture before deciding to give up on them - mixed the cooked ones back into the uncooked mixture, piled it into a loaf tin and baked to create a chick-pea loaf. I think I'll freeze it in individual slices and eat with salad as and when.

Then cleaned the house throughly including mopping and polishing the floors which I hate :(. Knackered but chilling now :).

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sofiaki
    Sofiaki Posts: 31 Forumite
    Kirri - reporting back on the Almond biscuit recipe before it slips my mind. Absolutely lovely. However, for some reason they didn't spread ... Would you have any idea why? I'll be using the recipe again for sure.

Now pondering about using frozen spinach to make a quiche ... perhaps with mozarella ?
  • VfM4meplse
    Sofiaki wrote: »
    Now pondering about using frozen spinach to make a quiche ... perhaps with mozarella ?
    Sounds lovely but I would probably use a mixture of a creamy / soft cheese, and something blue and veiny for a strong flavour. Oh yes I would also recommend squeezing the spinach after you've defrosted it otherwise you'll end up with a soggy bottom! :D

Hope it turns out well.

• Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Evening.
    Busy day painting and cleaning and popped into John Lewis to pick up MY Mothers Days present..............a Polti steam cleaner. lol

On the way home I popped into Asda and bought a cooked large chicken for £2.15 for an easy tea..............good job they had something decent to eat as I couldn't have been bothered to make anything tonight!!
    Strangely they were actually giving all the reduced bread etc. away for free, yes free. For every two packs you took they gave a smiley coupon thing to hand in (never seen that before).
    I got 3 packs of hot cross buns, 2 x paves and a pack of crusty rolls.
    Bought some bread flour and some crumble topping for those apples.
    Celery also for 10p and some reduced milk sachets, handy for holiday and expiry date mid April.
    £3.75 spent and gave some bread and hot cross buns away, had some crusty rolls with chicken and not freezing, so birds will have hot cross buns tomorrow for breakfast. lol
    Chicken breast still there for tomorrow.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure